Maldives, and also referred to as the Maldive Islands, is an island nation in the Indian Ocean consisting of a double chain of twenty-six atolls, oriented north-south, that lie between Minicoy Island (the southernmost part of Lakshadweep, India) and the Chagos Archipelago. The chains stand in the Laccadive Sea, about 700 kilometres (430 mi) south-west of Sri Lanka and 400 kilometres (250 mi) south-west of India.
|This Geography article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I can assure all Indians that Maldives will always be India's friend and we believe that we cannot find a better friend than India. India has always assisted us in times of stress and even in the future India will assist us in times of stress.
- We believe that the only prudent way forward and the solution is for Waheed to resign and the speaker of parliament to take over the government until elections are over.
- Mohamed Nasheed, fourth president of the Maldives, on Crisis in the Maldives, "Maldives crisis: Nasheed urges President Waheed to quit", quoted on BBC News, October 21, 2013.
- The people are confused. Nobody knows what is going on, except that there are these benchmarks we can see for ourselves. Now we are in limbo. Some people think voting should go on at 11 a.m., as scheduled.
- Hamid Abdul Ghafoor, an official in Mr. Nasheed’s party, quoted on New York Times, "Maldives Court Orders Another Delay After Presidential Vote Sets Up Runoff", November 9, 2013.
- ...deeply concerned at the Maldives government's continued repression of protestors, including beatings, pepper-spraying, and arrests. Those attacked include peaceful demonstrators, members of parliament, journalists and bystanders.
- Amnesty International accusing the Maldives governments for using excessive cruel force against supporters of Mohamed Nasheed, quoted on Travel Mole.com, "Tweets go wrong for Maldives: Maldives tourism campaign backfires as Twitter shows darker side of island life", January 31, 2014.
- The Maldives offers tremendous investment opportunities, especially in the hospitality sector as it has rapidly emerged as a destination of choice for international tourists. Our aim is to develop Vadinolhu Island as a high-end resort with world-class facilities to promote it as a complete family destination. We have already designed a business proposal targeting potential investors to collaborate with us in the operation and management of the resort. We are confident of achieving an operating profit in the second year with the cash payback period at six years.
- Mohamad Rabih Itani, CEO of Best Choice Real Estate Investment Company, quoted on The Saudi Gazatte, "Saudi firm develops Vadinolhu Island as next tourist destination in Maldives", April 2, 2014.