Jump to navigation Jump to search
Moonstruck is a 1987 American romantic comedy film about a book keeper from Brooklyn, New York, who finds herself in a difficult situation when she falls for the brother of the man she agreed to marry.
Life. Family. Love.
- That woman didn't leave you, OK. You can't see what you are, and I see everything... You are a wolf!... That woman was a trap for you. She caught you and you couldn't get away. So you, you chewed off your own foot. That was the price you had to pay for your freedom... And now, now you're afraid because you know the big part of you is a wolf that has the courage to bite off its own hand to save itself from the trap of the wrong love. That's why there's been no woman since that wrong woman. OK? You're scared to death of what the wolf would do if you try and make that mistake again!
- Bring me the big knife, I'm gonna cut my throat.
- After Loretta tells him of her impending marriage to his brother.
- I lost my hand! I lost my bride! Johnny has his hand! Johnny has his bride!
- Everything seems like nothing to me now, 'cause I want you in my bed. I don't care if I burn in hell. I don't care if you burn in hell. The past and the future is a joke to me now. I see that they're nothing. I see they ain't here. The only thing that's here is you - and me.
- Rose: Do you love him, Loretta?
- Loretta: Ma, I love him awful.
- Rose: Oh, God, that's too bad.
- Rose: No. I think the house is empty. I can't invite you in because I'm married and because I know who I am. You're shivering.
- Perry: I'm a little cold.
- Rose: You're a little boy and you like to be bad.
- Perry: We could go to my apartment. You could see how the other half lives.
- Rose: I'm too old for you.
- Perry: I'm too old for me. That's my predicament.
- Rose: Why do men chase women?
- Johnny: Well, there's a Bible story... God... God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. Now maybe men chase women to get the rib back. When God took the rib, he left a big hole there, where there used to be something. And the women have that. Now maybe, just maybe, a man isn't complete as a man without a woman.
- Rose: [frustrated] But why would a man need more than one woman?
- Johnny: I don't know. Maybe because he fears death.
- [Rose looks up, eyes wide, suspicions confirmed]
- Rose: That's it! That's the reason!
- Johnny: I don't know...
- Rose: No! That's it! Thank you! Thank you for answering my question!
- Loretta: Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been two weeks since my last confession.
- Priest: What sins have you to confess?
- Loretta: Twice I took the name of the Lord in vain, once I slept with the brother of my fiancée, and once I bounced a check at the liquor store, but that was really an accident.
- Priest: Then it's not a sin. But... what was that second thing you said, Loretta?
- Loretta: You mean the one where I once slept with the brother of my fiancée?
- Priest: That's a pretty big sin.
- Ronny: I'm in love with you.
- Loretta: [slaps him twice] Snap out of it!
- Note: the bolded portion ranked #96 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- Ronny: And what do you know? OK. You tell me my life? I'll tell you yours. I'm a wolf? You run to the wolf in me, that don't make you no lamb! You're gonna marry my brother? Why you wanna sell your life short? Playing it safe is just about the most dangerous thing a woman like you could do. I mean, you waited for the right man the first time. Why didn't you wait for the right man again?
- Loretta: He didn't come!
- Ronny: I'm here!
- Loretta: You're late! You know, we had a deal. You told me if I came with you to the Opera, then, then you'd leave me alone forever. And I came with you. Now I'm gonna marry your brother and you're gonna leave me alone forever, right? A person can see where they've messed up in their life, and they can change the way they do things, and they can even change their Luck. So maybe, maybe my nature does draw me to you, that don't mean I have to go with it. I can take hold of myself and I can say yes to some things and no to other things that are gonna ruin everything! I can do that. Otherwise, you know, what, what good is this stupid life that God gave us, I mean, for what? Are you listening to me?
- Ronny: Yeah. Everything seems like nothing to me now against I want you in my bed. I don't care if I burn in hell. I don't care if you burn in hell. The Past and the Future is a joke to me now. I see that they're nothin'. I see they ain't here. The only thing that's here is you - and me...Come upstairs. I don't care why you come. No, that's not what I mean. Loretta, I love you. Not, not like they told you love is and I didn't know this either. But love don't make things nice, it ruins everything! It breaks your heart, it makes things a mess. We, we aren't here to make things perfect. Snowflakes are perfect, stars are perfect. Not us! Not US! We are here to ruin ourselves and, and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and, and die! I mean that the storybooks are bullshit. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and, and get in my bed. Come on, come on, come on.
- Cher - Loretta Castorini
- Nicolas Cage - Ronny Cammareri
- Olympia Dukakis - Rose Castorini
- Vincent Gardenia - Cosmo Castorini
- Danny Aiello - Mr. Johnny Cammareri
- Julie Bovasso - Rita Cappomaggi
- Louis Guss - Raymond Cappomaggi
- John Mahoney - Perry
- Feodor Chaliapin - Loretta's grandfather
- Anita Gillette - Mona