Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (anime)
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge, known in Japan as Vampire Hunter: Darkstalkers' Revenge (ヴァンパイア ハンター DARKSTALKERS' REVENGE, Vanpaia Hantā Dākusutōkāzu Rebenji), is a four-episode OVA anime series by Madhouse Studios under license from Capcom, directed by Masashi Ikeda and written by Tatsuhiko Urahata. Originally released in 1997–1998, it is an adaptation of Capcom's Darkstalkers series of video games.
Return of the Darkstalkers
- Those who have lost their pride lose also their right to live.
- Do they fight because they cannot coexist? One unable to tolerate the existence of the other? Both sides fighting until the other is destroyed. That is the Way of Man. However, it is also the Way of the Demon. This world yearns for death. Why does this world walk the path of madness so willingly? Your souls are enveloped in darkness.
- So the child can become angry. It would seem you have some will to live after all. If so, stop running, and choose to live.
- Half the blood in my body is the cursed blood of the Dark. The half that is Dark tries to bury this world in madness. But the half that is Pure will yet triumph over the power of the Dark.
- This is a dark time, and dark times demand desperate measures. Damn the cost; we must stand and fight!
- Cleric to the assembly speaker
- The Dark shall be with us always. I would crush even the Moon herself so that it is preserved.
- And here I had been thinking the humans were clever creatures. Is not a lifetime of faithful servitude to me the greatest happiness their kind can attain? [...] No doubt they comfort themselves in plotting my downfall. The human is a friend to be loved indeed.
- Demitri Maximoff to his butler.
- The sounds of your agony and suffering are the greatest gift you can bestow upon me.
- I almost regret that the outcome of our little match has been decided. There can be but one victor today. And that is me.
- Oh brave youths—Know that, where you are about to go there is no darkness. Suerely the Lord will comfort you always with the warmth of His heavenly light. Know aslo that, in the light of the Lord, all your sins shall be forgiven. May you rest in peace.
- Priest's eulogy
- You don't really think we have a chance of surviving this, do you? Ask the dead who they think will be the winner. Their eyes are answer enough.
- My poor child. No doubt at your age you cannot understand what could cause a man to turn on his fellow man. I have no choice, you see. My duty is to calm these people, to save as many lives I can. Their needs outweigh the few. Forgive me.
- Priest to Anita
- Priest to Anita: The deed is not in me. I cannot take the life of one who does not understand.
- Donovan Baine: Priest, this one understands everything. Only the emotion is missing from her eyes.
- Priest: That is true; her eyes are those of a corpse.
- Donovan Baine: Do not think she lacks understanding of death. Rather she has forsaken those emotions which might cause her to react in its presence.
- Priest: Her powers bring her naught but tragedy. Would not you, too, cast aside emotion? My poor child.
- Donovan Baine: "Poor child" ...is it. Do you not think she is being selfish? She chooses to live as though she has no right of existence.
- The sun was once a source of life and prosperity for all mankind. But now the Darkstalkers have come and stolen it from us, hidden it away, our very own sun! In order for man to prosper, we need its warming light! [...] No price is too high to win back our light!
- Speaker to the assembly
Blood of the Darkstalkers, Power of the Darkstalkers
- They say this world was created by light. What then, caused the Dark to be created? The will to fight is awash in the stench of blood. A death mask is reflected in the faces of those who live in the light. While those who live in the Dark are content with their crypts. Of What worth is one's will to fight? What worth, when blood sprays forth from violated flesh and finds freedom in its release. The humans fear the Datk, but to escape it, they discard their humanity. And fight the Dark simply because they exist in the same universe. Fight until death. Neither approving of the other's existence, both dermined to fight. The world seems drunk on the elixir of madness!
- Even revered as the hunter of the Dark, we still cannot live in the light of mankind. Is it the light of the city that is corrupt? Or is the idea of the light I seek corrupt?