Jump to navigation Jump to search
Biography at Wikipedia
- "The only good Indians I ever saw were dead."
- In response to Comanche Chief Tosawi stating "Me, Tosawi; me good Injun". Although Sheridan disputed having replied this, but biographer Roy Morris Jr. claims that popular history simply assumed that he did state it.
- "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell..."
- Many newspapers stated that he had said this, and later on in his life he repeated it in variations.
Quotes about Sheridan
- General Phil Sheridan... had urged the destruction of the bison herds, correctly predicting that when they disappeared the Indians would disappear along with them; by 1885 the bison were virtually extinct, and the Indians were starving to death on the plains.
- Peter Farb, Man's Rise to Civilization (1968)