Jump to navigation Jump to search
- And though hard be the task,
"Keep a stiff upper lip."
- Keep a stiff upper Lip, reported in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919).
- Nearer my Father's house,
Where the many mansions be,
Nearer the great white throne,
Nearer the crystal sea.
Nearer the bound of life,
Where we lay our burdens down,
Nearer leaving the cross,
Nearer gaining the crown.
- Nearer Home, reported in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919).
- Her washing ended with the day,
Yet lived she at its close,
And passed the long, long night away
In darning ragged hose.
But when the sun in all its state
Illumed the Eastern skies,
She passed about the kitchen grate
And went to making pies.
- The Wife, reported in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919). The second stanza is also found in James Aldrich, A death-bed.
- Father, perfect my trust;
Let my spirit feel in death,
That her feet are firmly set
On the rock of a living faith!
- Reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 596.