Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pisces (♓) is the twelfth astrological sign in the Zodiac, originating from the Pisces constellation.
- For quivering are the Fishes on the horizon,
And the Wain wholly over Caurus lies.
- Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy (c. 1308-1321), Inferno XI
- When the equinox entered Pisces, the Savior of the World "appeared as the Fisher of Men."
- And here fantastic fishes duskly float,
Using the calm for waters, while their fires
Throb out quick rhythms along the shallow air.
- Who will not commend the wit of astrology? Venus, born out of the sea, hath her exaltation in Pisces.
- She eyes me like a Pisces when I am weak
I've been locked inside your heart-shaped box for weeks
- Venus ow'd her Safety to their Shape.
- Marcus Manilius, Astronomica, as quoted in Richard Hinckley Allen, Star-names and their meanings (1899: G. E. Stechert), oclc 1285139, p. 339
- Among others, the fable of the Greeks, that the constellations of Piscis Australis, the Southern Fish, was the fish into which Venus transformed herself to escape from the terrible giant Typhon. This evidently arose from the astrological doctrine, that the sign Pisces is the exaltation of Venus. That this original intent of mythology was afterwards corrupted both by poets and priests, there needs no argument to prove, as it is abundantly evident in history; but that fact only serves to confirm its real and reasonable origin. Let it no longer be supposed that the sages of the East occupied themselves in inventing childish and unmeaning fables. When unlocked by the key of astrology, the secrets of ancient mythology are replete with science, harmony, and intelligence.
- Richard James Morrison, The Metropolitan, Vol. 10 (1834), p. 94
- But nowe sadde winter welked hath the day,
And Phoebus, weary of his yerely taske,
Ystabled hath his steeds in lowly laye,
And taken up his ynne in Fishes haske.
- Hence Syrians hate to eat that kind of fishes,
nor is it fit to make their gods their dishes.
- In Pisces, where Venus is exaltat,—
Media related to Pisces at Wikimedia Commons