Pootie Tang is a 2001 cult comedy film, directed by Louis C.K. The film was adapted from a comedy sketch which first appeared on The Chris Rock Show. The character Pootie Tang is a satire of the stereotyped characters who appeared in old blaxploitation films.
- "Pootie Tang-A" appears as a white man dressed in black face posing as Pootie Tang
- As a child, Pootie Tang has his mother die and his father raise him just briefly. His father gives him a "magic" belt - the very same belt he's disciplined with - on his deathbed.
- "Camietowns a biddie; wapatah to the bammies on the Pannie Stai! Cigarettes/Fast food = Netatai Baddy!" - an example of Pootie Tang's idiosyncratic speech offered early in the film. A PSA ad aimed at children is so effective, it launches the plot. Corporate America - embodied in Dave Atell, and "Lecter Corp." - attempts to seize Pootie's voice (20,000,000 USD is offered) which Pootie refuses on moral grounds ("That's a canapan to the semachai") with a "nay-no" [see below]]. Pootie refuses to "wah-da-tah to the shama cow", interpreted generally as Pootie will not succumb to any corporation's will [needs citation]. Irene "Hoochie Ma Chicken Head" is unleashed by Lecter Corp. to seek Pootie and steal his "magic" belt. In the tradition the solitary hero - Odysseus, Cuchulainn, and so on - Pootie has friends, not be relied on for sustenance, but friends nevertheless. Wanda Sykes plays one such friend - the classic "hooker with the heart of gold" who isn't actually a hooker - who hosts parties not even "air can get into" without an invitation.
Although Pootie Tang speaks in a completely unintelligible jive, everyone he meets seems to understand him. Here are some examples of his vocabulary:
|Bata shane, my dillie?"||said to "Biggie Shorty" (Wanda Sykes), regarding a party.|
|"Pootie Tang's Tinie"||the bar where Pootie Tang is summoned to sing.|
|"Capatown."||many interpretations and usages, yet in many instances means "Calm down now" in a friendly manner|
|cama cama leepa chai||refusal on moral grounds|
|"Bammies."||many interpretations and usages, yet usually refers to normal acquaintances|
|"Leepa tine on my clemmon dees. Penna tine on my damie kays; Ima crighty pooster, ima crighty pooster!"||not clear, but celebrated by his audience.|
|"Sa Da Tay."||generally positive interpretations|
|"Wa Da Tah."||many interpretations and usages, yet usually is a confirmation statement like "that's for sure!" or "I agree"|
|"Don't bane the dillies!"||may be either a euphemism for "practice safe sex" or "stop gang violence" (not actually said by Pootie, but said by announcer in one of Pootie's PSAs)|
|"Lee ba Time."||possibly "watch and find out"|
|"Tipi Tais."||generally accepted as "kids" or "children"|
|"Dirty Dee, you're a baddy daddy lamatai tabby chai!"||a threat, an insult, or both|
|"What's the Dabble Dee?"||generally accepted as "What's the matter?"|
|"May I dane on the cherries, Mama Dee?"||"Mother, would it be acceptable for me to have some more peas?"|
|"Main Damie."||generally accepted as "Best Friend"|
|"Well Bob, I'm a pone tony."||explains his achievement in many diverse fields|
|"I'm going to sine your pitty on the runny kine!"||a warning to his enemies of impending punishment; also used to smooth-talk the ladies|
|"My Dilly."||seems to refer to a female "Damie"; he refers to Biggie Shorty as his Dilly|
|"Nay-no"||"no," as in "I gotta say the Nay-no, my brotha"|
|"Cole me down on the panny sty"||Pootie's way of indicating complicity and friendship in his listener|
|"Cole me on the panny sty."||Almost identical to the above, but gravely different in meaning. "Cole me on the panny sty" is insultingly nonsensical, as shown by the reaction of Bob Costas.|
|"You ain't come one, but many tine tanies"||Pootie's way of saying "You didn't just bring yourself, you brought your whole crew to back you up", implying cowardice towards his listener|
|Pootie tang.||the expression itself is a slang way of saying "pretty thing", whether said sincerely or when ridiculing a conceited person.|
|Roun on the crowny town.||Expressing excitement having grown a single stalk of corn.|
- Trucky: It was incredible! Only the third time a man had been mauled by a gorilla at that steel mill!
- Biggie Shorty: Just 'cause a girl like to dress fancy and stand on the street corner near some whores, you automatically think she's hookin'?
- Trucky: You can't hurt a ho with a belt... they like that shit.
- Trucky: He was rejuvenated. You hear that? Rejuvenated. He was juvenated before, lost it... and got juvenated again. Rejuvenated!
- Dirty Dee: Yeah! Hahahaha! Sepatown my ass!
- Trucky: Dirty Dee is still dirty because he's Dirty Dee, dammit!
- J.B.: Pootie Tang will draw you a picture of how he's gonna kick your ass, then mail it to you ten days in advance. The picture gets there, right? You go, "What the hell is this?" Then Pootie Tang knocks on your door, promptly kicks your ass, and you still won't know what happened to you!
- Trucky: Got that right. He is a kick-ass artiste, know what I'm sayin'?. He like the da Vinci of ass-kickin'. What's that gonna be, right? Pootie Tang — the da Vinci of Ass-Kickin'!
- J.B.: Aw man, Pootie Tang whoop your ass so bad that you could write it off on your taxes, that's right. You got right here: ass-whoopin' number one, ass-whoopin' number two, this right here, you can't write that off. That's just gettin' beat up.
- Lacey: You know, I'd like to also add that Pootie Tang can kick some ass too, boy.
- J.B.: Yo Man, a Biggie Shorty party is exclusive, man. They don't let nobody in a Biggie Shorty party. They got a line around the block, aint nobody in man. You know What, Nobody we know can get in this party Man. They don't let no Light in, They don't let no Electricity in, They don't let no Water in, They don't let no Air in! Air's right now going "Hey Man I'm Air, I'm on the list, let me in." and they won't let Air in, and you know Air gets in everywhere. That's How exclusive A Biggie Shorty Party is.
- Lacey: And you know what else, it's hard to get in too. [pause]
- J.B.: I HATE YOU!
- "Pootie Tang-A" appears as a white man dressed in black face posing as Pootie Tang, selling Lecter Corp. products. Dozens of fake Pooties suddenly show up.
- Dirty Dee: Pootie Tang! I come to call you out, maggoty eatin' bitch!
- Pootie Tang: You ain't come one, but many tine tanies!
- Pootie Tang: Cole me on the panny sty.
- Bob Costas: ...I'm sorry. What was that?
- Pootie Tang: Cole — Cole me on the panny sty.
- Bob Costas: What the hell are you talking about?
- Pootie Tang: ...Cole me down on the panny sty?
- Bob Costas: Ohhhh, cole me down on the panny sty! All right!
- Too cool for words
- Lance Crouther - Pootie Tang
- J.B. Smoove - Trucky
- Jennifer Coolidge - Ireenie
- Robert Vaughn - Dick Lecter
- Wanda Sykes - Biggie Shorty
- Chris Rock - JB/Radio DJ/Pootie's Father