Quintin Hogg, Baron Hailsham of St Marylebone
The Right Honourable Quintin McGarel Hogg, Baron Hailsham of St Marylebone KG CH PC (9 October 1907 – 12 October 2001), formerly 2nd Viscount Hailsham (1950–1963), was a British Conservative politician.
|This political figure article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Conservatives do not believe that political struggle is the most important thing in life...The simplest among them prefer fox-hunting—the wisest religion.
- Quintin Hogg, The Case for Conservatism (Penguin, 1947), p. 10.
- Being Conservative is only another way of being British.
- Quintin Hogg, The Case for Conservatism (Penguin, 1947).
- A great party is not to be brought down because of a scandal by a woman of easy virtue and a proved liar.
- "Lord Hailsham speaks out", The Times, 14 June 1963, p. 9.
- On the Profumo affair. Interview with Robert McKenzie on "Gallery" for BBC television.
- Lord Hailsham: But to try to turn it into a party issue, is really beyond belief contemptible.
Robert McKenzie: Do you feel that the others that have spoken out, the Bishops, The Times and so on, have tried to turn it into a party issue?
Hailsham: I think you have!
- Conclusion of the same interview.
- If the British public falls for this, I think it would be stark, staring bonkers.
- "Tories to fight like fury, Party chairman says", The Times, 13 October 1964 (p. 12)
- At a press conference on 12 October 1964 during the general election campaign, referring to the policies of the Labour Party.
- If you can tell me there are no adulterers on the front bench of the Labour Party you can talk to me about Profumo.
- Stephen Dorril and Robin Ramsay, "Smear" (Fourth Estate, 1991) p. 48
- Reply to heckler's cry of "Profumo!" at a public meeting on 13 October 1964. Hogg probably had in mind the Labour Party leader Harold Wilson specifically.
- There is a sense in which all law is nothing more nor less than a gigantic confidence trick.
- Speech to Devon Magistrates, The Times 12 April 1972.
- If you do not give the people reform they are going to give you social revolution.
- As quoted in Social democracy - The enemy within by Harpal Brar, pg. 162.