Jump to navigation Jump to search
Roman Legion-Hare is a Looney Tunes animated short released in 1955. The title is a play on the words Roman Legionnaire. After being ordered by Emperor Nero to find a victim to be tossed to the lions, Yosemite Sam tries to capture Bugs Bunny.
- Well, like the Romans always say, E pluribus uranium. [a pun on the United States' Latin motto "E pluribus unum" (Out of many, one.)]
- Get me a victim right away, or you'll be the victim.
- [Yosemite Sam is chasing after Bugs, he stops beside a caged lion]
- Yosemite Sam: Now where'd that skunk of a rabbit go?
- [The lion roars, startling Yosemite Sam, who drops his club]
- Yosemite Sam: Why, you mangy fang-toothed critter!
- [He cracks the lion over the head]
- Yosemite Sam: Take that! Maybe that'll learn ya to keep yer big mouth shut! That fur-bearin' varmint's around here somewhere.
- [Bugs opens the cell's gates, and the lion roars again]
- Yosemite Sam: [repeatedly clubbing the lion] HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU... [slows down, realizing his predicament] ... to... shut... up? [runs away, pursued by the lion]
- [Yosemite Sam stops at a big hole filled with lions, with Bugs on the other side]
- Bugs Bunny: How now, brown cow?
- Yosemite Sam: No long-eared galoot can outfox the Captain of the Guards! [grabs some stilts] Okay, rabbit, now let's see who's the smartest!
- Bugs Bunny: [apparently surrendering without even trying to run away] Oh, it looks like you've outsmarted me. Oh, woe is me.
- [Yosemite Sam walks over the lions with the stilts. One roars at him]
- Yosemite Sam: Ah, shaddup! [clubs the lion]
- Bugs Bunny: [tosses some axes and saws] Here, lions!
- [Yosemite Sam immediately walks back over the hole as the lions eat away at the stilts. He is caught, but lands back to safety. This gag was similar to Ain't She Tweet]
- Yosemite Sam: I hates rabbits.
- Bugs Bunny: I better get out of here while the getting's good!
- Mel Blanc as Bugs Bunny / Yosemite Sam / Emperor Nero / Guard / Commentator