(Redirected from Sadism and masochism)
Quotes about Sadomasochism:
- Her instruments of torture were more numerous than those of any other governess. Her supply of birch was extensive, and kept in water, so that it was always green and pliant: she had shafts with a dozen whip thongs on each of them; a dozen different sizes of cat-o'-nine-tails, some with needle points worked into them; various kinds of thin bending canes; leather straps like coach traces; battledoors, made of thick sole-leather, with inch nails run through to docket, and currycomb tough hides rendered callous by many years flagellation. Holly brushes, furze brushes; a prickly evergreen, called butcher's bush [?butcher's broom]; and during the summer, a glass and China vases, filled with a constant supply of green nettles, with which she often restored the dead to life. Thus, at her shop, whoever went with plenty of money, could be birched, whipped, fustigated, scourged, needle-pricked, half-hung, holly-brushed, furze-brushed, butcher-brushed, stinging-nettled, curry-combed, phlebotomized, and tortured till he had a belly full.
- Frank: No. They gave me experiences beyond the limits. Pain and pleasure, indivisible.
- Hellraiser (film) by Clive Barker
- She does not believe that Wonder Woman tends to masochism or sadism. Furthermore, she believes that even if it did-you can teach either perversion to children-one can only bring out what is inherent in the child. However she did make the reservation that if the woman slaves wore chains (and enjoyed them) for no purpose whatsoever, there would be no point in chaining them.
- I urge you all today, especially today during these times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into leather.
- Margaret Cho The Notorious C.H.O. Tour
- "What all these people are doing is not aggressive; they are inventing new possibilities of pleasure with strange parts of their body - through the eroticization of the body. I think it's...a creative enterprise, which has as one of its main features what I call the desexualization of pleasure."
- Quote in Aldrich, Robert and Wotherspoon, Gary (Eds.) Who's Who: In Gay and Lesbian History from Antiquity to World War II (2001), in reference to S/M.
- For me, a one-night stand meant the fantasy was never destroyed. So exciting! Mini-fantasies I would live out, dominating them. They hated it! They genuinely hated it. They would get angry . . . but excited. Really excited. I didn’t love anyone I was with. Never.
- My fantasy since I was a small child was to dominate a dominating man. That turns me on more than anything, a man who does not want to be dominated—like Sean Connery, a really macho man. The kind of man who has no desire for submission. It’s truly perverse. It’s the power play: who has it, how long you have it for, and what you do with it.
- I was fascinated when the queen [the wicked fairy] chained up the prince when he came to find Sleeping Beauty. I saw myself as that woman. I found the idea of chaining a man up so exciting.
- You'll find the duality exists all throughout the Giantess fetish, it is what makes the fetish so incredibly hot to those who have it. The girl receives pleasure and enjoyment while those below are crushed, eaten, and violated sexually by her, helpless to her whim and careless desires. It's the extreme contrast between pleasure, enjoyment, and light-heartedness of the female and the terror and horror of her victims that makes the fetish so powerful. It's almost as if the girl is so incredibly powerful and so physically dominate that she can destroy entire worlds with little care except her own. This duality of light and dark, power and helplessness, big and small, pleasure and terror, amplifies the POWER she has and displays- which is what this fetish is all about. Women with extreme amounts of power.
- I am strongly against hard crush. Crushing kittens and rabbits is just fucking sick. I do however crush bugs for pleasure (known as "soft crush") and have since I was a little girl. This consists of ants, crickets, and mealworms. These are bugs people consider pests and exterminate on a daily basis, feed to pets, or put a hook through and use for fishing. Often times I eat these bugs too! But that's as far as I feel comfortable with. Considering what people do to animals on a daily basis, (hunting shows, sport fishing, factory farming, yard extermination), I don't think mashing a few ants between my toes to get my panties wet is a huge deal. And often times those who do think it is a big deal don't see the hypocrisy in eating meat for pleasure when they could be eating vegetable alternatives.
- I've had a sexual fascination with vore ever since I was little. I'd often pretend I was a cat-girl hunting down a little mouse. Once I'd caught the mouse I'd often pretend to swallow him alive - just like in cartoons. This really, really pleased me for some reason. As I became older, I started fantasizing about people, swallowing classmates or entire buses full of kids. I'd imagine sprinkles to be people and I often eat ants when no one was looking. To be eaten is the ultimate sacrifice a tiny creature can make. Vore is about giving your life, your essence to feed another being. It's very sexual and very romantic as strange as that may sound. When I swallow a tiny person, I know their life is now mine. That as my shrunken prey is digested, their body will serve and nourish my life. They are helpless to the desires, whims, and biological needs of my body. It's about giving or having your life taken away to serve something far more powerful and beautiful. Mouths, lips, and tongues are sexual organs in themselves!
- The bottom-line that everyone with this fantasy is extremely conflicted inside, due to how their instincts are wired. When they are horny, they want nothing more than for this fantasy to be real, but once the fantasy becomes too real their survival instincts kick in and the fantasy is ruined. Ultimately, it comes down to that this is a fantasy and that it should stay that way. But there's no harm in exploring and indulging the fantasy in safe ways, like through art or technology. If I had been born 400 years from now I'd probably be writing holonovels and shrinking my fans with a transporter and keeping them safe.
- Giantess Katelyn Vice.com
- It is the night-black Massachusetts legendry which packs the really macabre 'kick', Here is the material for a really profound study in group neuroticism; for certainly, no one can deny the existence of a profoundly morbid streak in the Puritan imagination....The very pre-ponderance of passionately pious men in the colony was virtually an assurance of unnatural crime; insomuch as psychology now proves the religious instinct to be a form of transmuted eroticism precisely parallel to the transmutations in other directions which respectively produce such things as sadism, hallucination, melancholia, and other mental morbidities. Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. This was aggravated, of course, by the Puritan policy of rigorously suppressing all the natural outlets of excuberant feeling--music, laughter, colour, pageantry, and so on. To observe Christmas Day was once a prison offence....
- In principle there is a difference between violence which is incidental and violence which is inflicted for the indulgence of cruelty. The violence of sadomasochistic encounters involves the indulgence of cruelty by sadists and the degradation of victims. Such violence is injurious to the participants and unpredictably dangerous. I am not prepared to invent a defence of consent for sadomasochistic encounters which breed and glorify cruelty . . . . Society is entitled and bound to protect itself against a cult of violence. Pleasure derived from the infliction of pain is an evil thing. Cruelty is uncivilized.
- Lord Templeton, Judgement in the Operation Spanner case
- Whether writing for or against corporal punishment, correspondents provided detailed accounts of inflicting, receiving, and witnessing ritual chastisements in which older women restrained, undressed, and whipped younger ones. Letters described mothers, aunts, teachers and female servants forcing girls and young women to remove their drawers, tying girls to pieces of furniture, pinning back their arms, placing them in handcuffs, or requiring them to count the number of strokes administered. Some letters were written from the point of view of the mother, and guardians who had to impose discipline, others from the perspective of those reminiscing about having been disciplined. Many provided testimonials that began with the recollection of having "screamed, and shrieked and implored" to no avail and ended by celebrating the moral benefits of chastisement.
- There are one or two rules of thumb which are useful in distinguishing sadism from exciting adventure in the comics. Threat of torture is harmless, but when the torture it’s self is shown it becomes sadism. When a lovely heroine is show bound to the stake, comics followers are sure that the rescue will arrive just in the nick of time. The readers wish is to see save the girl, not to see her suffer. A bound or chained person does not suffer even embarrassment in the comics, and the reader, therefore is not being taught to enjoy suffering.
- William Moulton Marston as quoted in Olive Richard Bryne's, "Don't laugh at the comics" Family Circle, Oct 25, 1940.
- Harmless erotic fantasies are terrific, it’s the lousy ones you have to look out for—the harmful, destructive, morbid erotic fixations—real sadism, killing, blood-letting, torturing where the pleasure is in the victim’s actual pain, etc. Those are 100 per cent bad and I won’t have any part of them.
- William Moulton Marston The Secret History of Wonder Woman, (2014) by Jill Lepore
- [N]o one appeared to wonder whether this S-M proliferation was a lesbian copy of a faggot imitation of patriarchal backlash against feminism.
- Robin Morgan, "The Politics of Sado-Masochistic Fantasies", in Going Too Far: The Personal Chronicle of a Feminist, p 235.
- Only the liberation of the natural capacity for love in human beings can master their sadistic destructiveness.
- Wilhelm Reich, The Function of the Orgasm (1927), Ch. V : The Development of the Character-Analytic Technique, p.173
- Cause I may be bad but I'm perfectly good at it
Sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
Sticks and stones may break my bones,
But chains and whips excite me.
- Rihanna S&M
- It's been so long since I made love, I can't even remember who gets tied up.
- Reported in The Quotable Quote Book (Carol Publishing Group, 1990), p. 258
- Sadomasochism has always been the furthest reach of the sexual experience: when sex becomes most purely sexual, that is, severed from personhood, from relationships, from love. It should not be surprising that it has become attached to Nazi symbolism in recent years. Never before was the relation of masters and slaves so consciously aestheticized. Sade had to make up his theater of punishment and delight from scratch, improvising the decor and costumes and blasphemous rites. Now there is a master scenario available to everyone. The color is black, the material is leather, the seduction is beauty, the justification is honesty, the aim is ecstasy, the fantasy is death.
- Susan Sontag, "Fascinating Fascism" (1974), The New York Review of Books (1975-02-06), reprinted in Under the Sign of Saturn (1980), p 105.
- In addition to his bio-physical heresies, Dr. Reich vastly offended many people by his sociological theory, which holds that fascism is just an exaggerated form of the basic structure of sex-negative societies and has existed under other names in every civilization based on sexual repression. In this theory, the character and muscular armor of the average citizen — a submissive and frightened attitude anchored in body reflexes — causes the average person to want a strong authority figure above them. Tyranny, in this model, is not created by tyrants alone but by neurotic masses who want tyrants.
- Robert Anton Wilson, in Everything Is Under Control : Conspiracies, Cults, and Cover-Ups (1998), p. 361; some of Wilson's account of the suppression of Reich's ideas and work are technically exaggerative: though many of Reich's books mentioning his concepts of orgone energy and the "orgone accumulators" of his laboratory were destroyed the destruction of his equipment and books was not actually total.