San Andreas (film)
San Andreas is a 2015 American disaster film directed by Brad Peyton and starring Dwayne Johnson, Carla Gugino, Alexandra Daddario, Ioan Gruffudd, Kylie Minogue and Paul Giamatti. The film tells the story of LAFD helicopter pilot Ray Gaines (Johnson) as he attempts to save his wife, Emma (Gugino) and daughter, Blake (Daddario) from an earthquake that devastates California, caused by its San Andreas fault, while a Caltech scientist (Giamatti) races to warn survivors that more danger is to come.
- [after parachuting with Emma into AT&T Park] It's been a while since I got you to second base.
- Dr. Lawrence Hayes: Now, the Sendai quake in Japan was considered one of the five strongest since 1900. It was so powerful, in fact that it moved the main island of Japan eight feet. This is just one of the 1.3 million earthquakes that occur around the globe each year. The largest ever recorded here in North America: Anchorage, Alaska, 1964. A 9.1. The earth shook for five straight minutes. The energy release was the equivalent of 10 million atom bombs the size of the one dropped on Hiroshima. And that's not the biggest earthquake ever recorded. No, the biggest was four years earlier off the coast of Valdivia in Southern Chile. A 9.5 on the Richter scale, right there. Bam. This quake lasted 11 minutes and spawned a tsunami, 82 feet high, that leveled Hilo, Hawaii, 8,000 miles away. Eight thousand miles away. So, um... It's mass destruction like this that shows just how important the research that we're doing here is, because we need to be able to predict these things. right? To plan and prepare for them. Yes, ma'am?
- Student #1: Professor, do you think something that intense could happen here?
- Hayes: Well, the San Andreas fault runs right up the spine of California. It's the demarcation line between two tectonic plates that are constantly moving. Add to that the fact that it's supposed to happen every 150 years, and we're about 100 years overdue... I'd say it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.
- [after Ray returns to the LAFD base with a damaged helicopter]
- Elgin: Damn, Godzilla, what the hell'd you do to her this time?
- Ray: Played a little tug of war with a car. How soon before you get her fixed?
- Elgin: I'll call Martinez today, get a new one sent over to maintenance.
- Ray: Elgin, you move any faster, you're gonna break that hip.
- Hayes: Come on, I need everybody! [runs with Serena, Alexi and Phoebe]
- Serena: What are we doing?
- Hayes: Getting you on the air. We need to warn people.
- Serena: How? There's no way to upload a signal!
- Hayes: [chuckles] You're at Caltech.
- [they reach the university's media room]
- Hayes: Okay, who wants an "A" in Independent Study? I'm starting a new class: "How to Save Lives by Hacking Media Outlets".
- Student #2: Hell, yeah, man, I'm in.
- Hayes: Sweet, bro. Get your laptop, let's go.
- [last lines]
- Emma: So, what now?
- [Several more rescue helicopters descend on the bay, while an American flag unfolds on the remains of the Golden Gate Bridge]
- Ray: Now we rebuild.