A sanction may be either a permission or a restriction, depending on context, as the word is an auto-antonym.
- Peace can be made tranquil and secure only by understanding and agreement fortified by sanctions.
- Bernard Baruch, Address to the United Nations Atomic Energy Commission (14 June 1946)
- No degree of antiquity can give sanction to a usage bad in itself.
- Lord Mansfield, Case of John Money and others (1765), 19 How. St. Tr. 1027.
- I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction.