Sanjaya Joseph Malakar (born September 10, 1989) was a finalist on sixth season of the popular television show American Idol. Malakar gained national attention on American Idol advancing to 7th place in the contest with public votes, while being received badly by the show's judges.
- Sonia Mowlicker.
- Asked 'What's the worst pronunciation of your name you ever heard?' Freshman year in high school they announced names on birthdays, and that's how they announced his name. For the rest of the school year Sanjaya says his friends called him Sonia! 
- I can’t tell you. I would say that if I did, I would have to kill you, but that wouldn’t be polite.
- Asked to reveal how he would wear his hair at his first American Idol Concert Tour 2007. 
- I drove a bus down Sunset Boulevard once, and I didn’t kill anyone.
- Asked, at age 17, about his driving skills.
- How can you look at this and not see it as the symbol for the self-referencing nature of progressive evolution.
- Malakar as Bill Vendall, 25 year old graduate student of fine arts, on his ever-changing 'character creation', Sanjaya Malakar. 
- I didn't know people had that much water in them!
- Asked what he thought about the crying girl fan that cried for 2 hours.
- I just wanted to sing on TV.
- Asked for his reaction to the large amount of national attention.
(ref on American Morning interview).
- When life gives you lemons, get tequila and salt.
- Attributed to Malakar as an e-mail sign off. 
- "Sour patch kids gone wild."
- Stated as name of pre-Idol amateur video.
- Let's give them something to talk about, other than H A I R!
- Singing his farewell American Idol performance, ad-libbed in place of "how about love". 
- I like singing in the street, so if you saw a little Indian kid walking on the street singing loudly, that was probably me.
- Asked in an interview what he does in his spare time. 
- I would have Simon Cowell sing 'Shiny Happy People' by R.E.M. just to show his true personality.
- About the American Idol judge who was most critical of his performances.
- I hope she saw the passion, and no need to tell Mark Anthony about it.
- I learned the hula, so now I know how to shake my booty Hawaiian style.
- Asked what most people would be surprised to know about him on American Idol.
- Thank you! Welcome to the Universe of Sanjaya!
- I don't eat sugary cereal.