Sathya Sai Baba
Sathya Sai Baba (23 November 1926 – 24 April 2011), born Sathya Narayana Raju, was a popular Indian guru, believed to be the reincarnation of Sai Baba of Shirdi. Innumerable reports of miraculous healings, resurrection, clairvoyance, bilocation, and alleged omnipotence and omniscience have been attributed to Sai Baba by both devotees and non-devotees. The Sathya Sai Organisation, founded by Sai Baba "to enable its members to undertake service activities as a means to spiritual advancement", has over 1,200 Sathya Sai Centres (branches) in 126 countries. Through this organisation, Sai Baba established a network of free hospitals, clinics, drinking water projects, auditoriums, ashrams and schools.
- I have a "Task": To foster all mankind and ensure for all of them lives full of ananda (bliss). I have a "Vow": To lead all who stray away from the straight path again into goodness and save them. I am attached to a "work" that I love: To remove the sufferings of the poor and grant them what they lack. I have a "reason to be proud", for I rescue all who worship and adore me, aright. I have my definition of the "devotion" I expect: Those devoted to me have to treat joy and grief, gain and loss, with equal fortitude. This means that I will never give up those who attach themselves to me.
- Letter Sathya Sai wrote to his older brother Seshama Raju Sathya Sai Baba's Life History (1947)
- There is no one who can change My course or affect My conduct to the slightest extent. I am the Master over all.
- Discourse (28 September 1960). Sathya Sai Speaks Vol. I, p. 182.
- Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.
- My construction will cover the entire Universe.
- Sathya Sai Baba Discourse, October 1961 p. 120, 'Sathya Sai Speaks' Vol 2.
- Christ declared. Sathya means Truth. 'He will wear a robe of red, a blood-red robe.' (Here the baba pointed to the red colored robe he happened to be wearing that day!). He will be short, with a crown (here he points to his hair). The lamb is the sign and symbol of love. Christ did not declare that he will come again, he said, 'He who made me will come again.' That ba ba (bleating of the sheep or lamb) is this Baba, and Sai, the short, curly-hair-crowned red-robed Baba, is come. He is not only this Form, but, he is every one of you, as the Dweller in the Heart.
- Sathya Sai Speaks Vol. 11, p. 346
- The same Divine Compassion that blessed Dharma; saved Gajendra; restored Kuchela; and stood by Prahlada, has come to the Earth as the Refuge of the refugeless; as the Lord of Peace, Harmony and Righteousness; as the Lord of all the Worlds; as the Sath-Chith-Anandamurthi; and as the Puttaparthi Sathya Sai Sath-Chakravarthi - the King of Kings.
- As quoted in Thought For The Day, K57, published by Sri Sathya Sai Books & Publications Trust, Sathya Sai Baba Discourse, (21 October 1993), Sathya Sai Speaks Vol 26.
- My power is immeasurable; My truth inexplicable, unfathomable.
- Sathya Sai Baba Discourse 19-6-1974. p. 227 Sathya Sai Speaks Vol. 12.
- I am all deities in one. You may endeavour your best for thousands of years and have all mankind with you in your search. But you cannot understand My Reality.
- US ed. of Kasturi's authorized biography Sathyam Sivam Sundaram Vol 3 page 315
- There was no one to understand Me until I created the whole world
- As quoted by his official biographer, N. Kasthuri, in 'Pathway to Peace', p. 64.
- What is it that brings to It the adoration of millions from all over the world? You will be convinced that the basic reason for this is the fact that this is the Supra-worldly Divinity in Human Form.
- Discourse 17/5/1968. Sathya Sai Speaks Vol. 8, p 100
- This is a human form in which every Divine entity, every Divine principle, that is to say, all the names and forms ascribed by man to God, are manifest... You are very fortunate that you have the chance to experiences the bliss of the vision of the form, which is the form of all gods, now, in this life itself.
- Statement (1968) as quoted in Sathya Sai Speaks Volume VIII, p. 99f
- God can do anything. He has all power in the palm of His Hand. My Body, like all other bodies, is a temporary habitation; but, My Power is eternal, all-pervasive, ever-dominant.
- Christmas Day Discourse, Bombay 1970. page 136, US ed. of Kasturi's Sathyam Sivam Sundaram Vol 3.
- Formerly when the Govardhanagiri (mountain) was raised aloft by a little boy, the gopis and gopalas realised that Krishna was the Lord. Now, it is not one Govardhanagiri, a whole range will be lifted, you will see!
- Sathya Sai Speaks Vol.3 New Edition, p. 92,
- The Lord is the refuge of all who seek refuge, the saviour of all who have to be saved. He is the Embodiment of Being-Awareness-Bliss (Sat-chit-ananda). He is now at Puttaparthi as the Effulgent Emperor over the region of Truth, Goodness and Beauty.
- Sathya Sai Speaks Vol. 13, p 114
- Were it not for the mind change of Sai devotees the world would already have fallen into complete chaos. The deterioration of mind and man has been very rapid and abrupt, even precipitous during the last fifteen years. That the world is not in total destruction is due to the change of mind of Sai devotees and to Sai's grace.
- Conversations with... Sathya Sai Baba by Dr. J. Hislop, p. 190 old ed., page 173 new edition
- I will have to forego the car and even the aeroplane when I move from place to place, for the crowds pressing around them will be too huge; I will have to move across the sky; yes, that too will happen, believe Me.
- Sathya Sai Speaks Vol. II, p. 92
- I know everything that has happened to everybody in the past, everything that is happening now and everything that will happen in the future.
- Sathyam, Sivam, Sundaram - Part 3. by N. Kasturi. Page 305 US ed. Next to the last chapter.
- Practise silence, for the voice of God can be heard in the region of your heart only when the tongue and the inner storm are stilled, and the waves (of the mind) are calmed. There will be no temptation for others to shout when you talk to them in whispers. Set the level of the tone yourself: as low as possible, as high as necessary to reach the outermost boundary of the circle you are addressing. Conserve sound, since it is the treasure of the element ether (Akasa), an emanation from God Himself. Reason can prevail only when the arguments are advanced without the whipping up of sound. Silence is the speech of the spiritual seeker. Soft speech is the expression of genuine love. Hate screeches; fear squeals; conceit trumpets; but love sings lullabies, it soothes, it applies balm. Practise the vocabulary of love; unlearn the language of hate and contempt.
- "Divine Discourse" (19 February 1970)
- LIFE + DESIRE = MAN; LIFE – DESIRE = GOD.
- Interview with R.K. Karanjia for Blitz magazine (1976)
- No one can understand my Mystery. The best you can do is to get immersed in it. It is no use your arguing about pros and cons; dive and know the depth; eat and know the taste.
- As quoted in Sai Baba: Man of Miracles (1977) by Howard Murphet, p. 208
- Trust in my wisdom. I do not make mistakes. Love my uncertainty for it is not a mistake. It is my intent and will. Remember -- nothing happens without my will. Be still. Do not ask to understand. Do not want to understand.
- Sanathana Sarathi, August 1984
- Everyone should prepare NOW for this change, for I promise you that it will come, and only those who are ready will survive.
- SSSBFM, (1991), p .223
- Sai holds the universe in his hand
- Conversations with Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba (1993) by Dr. J. Hislop. publ. Sathya Sai Publications and Book Trust, Puttaparthi.
- The whole world will be transformed into Sathya Sai Organisation and Sathya Sai will be installed in the hearts of one and all.
- Sanathana Sarathi (January 1999) page 16)
- Today man is putting his senses to misuse and as a result his body is becoming weaker day by day. He shortens his life-span by his unsacred vision and by indulgence in sensual pleasures. Lakhs of light rays in his eyes are being destroyed because of his unsacred vision. That is the reason what man is developing eye defects.
- Discourse on 5/7/2001 in Sanathana Sarathi (August 2001) p. 226
- Some people think, Swami calls himself a powerful magnet, but He is unable to attract us. The fault lies in them only.
- Sanathana Sarathi (January 2003), page 10
- As the attraction power is increasing in Me... you are going to witness many astounding events in future... Even while I am speaking to you now, My feet are being pulled by the earth. If I lift one foot, the earth attracts the other foot. Whatever I touch with My hand, it also gets attracted. This magnetic power is present in every man... I try to lift My foot but it is very difficult.
- Sanathana Sarathi (April 2003), p. 123
- As a matter of fact, there is no trace of ill-health in Me. I am always healthy. Not only today, till 96 years I will be like this.
- 05 Oct. 2003, Prasanthi Nilayam in Sathya Sai Speaks, volume 36 chapter 14, discourse title "Give up Dehabhimana develop Atmabhiman"
- Be sincere; talk only about your genuine experience; do not distort, exaggerate or falsify that experience.
- Prema (love): practise that; develop that; spread that; and all the hatreds and jealousies of today will disappear. That is the duty of the Divine Life Society, here as well as elsewhere.
- Discourse 14-12-1958. Sathya Sai Speaks Vol. 17
- Leadership is Idealism in Action. The Avatar comes to reveal man to himself, to restore him his birthright of Atmic (Divine) Bliss. He does not come to found a new creed, to breed a new faction, to install a new god. The Avatar comes as Man in order to demonstrate that Man is Divine, in order to be within reach of man.
I have come to restore Love among mankind, to cleanse it of narrowness, and restrictive attitudes. That is the main task in the revival of Dharma (Righteousness). Be assured that the Lord has come to save the world from calamity. Your duty is to keep calm, and pray for the happiness and prosperity of all. You cannot be happy when the rest of mankind is unhappy.
I offer help; never receive it. My Hand always gives; it never takes. Conclude from this that this must be Divine, not human power. I do not mention about Sai Baba in any of My discourses, though I bear the name as Avatar of Sai Baba. I do not appreciate in the least the distinction between the varied appearances of God: Sai, Rama, Krishna, Christ, Nanak, Buddha etc. I do not proclaim that this is more important or that the other is less important. Continue your worship of your chosen God along the lines already familiar to you. Then you will find that you are coming nearer and nearer to Me, for all names are Mine and all forms are Mine. There is no need to change your chosen God and adopt a new one when you have seen Me and heard Me.
Come just one step forward, I shall take a hundred steps towards you. Shed just one tear, I shall wipe a hundred from your eyes. I bless only thus: May your Ananda, may your Bliss grow. I have come to give you the Key of the treasure of Ananda or Bliss, to tell you how to tap that spring, for you have forgotten the way to blessedness.
I never exult when I am extolled, nor shrink when I am reviled. Few have realized My Purpose and Significance, but I am not worried. When things that are not in Me are attributed to Me, why should I worry? When things that are in Me are mentioned, why should I exult? For Me, it is always, "Yes, yes, yes." IF you give up all and surrender to the Lord, He will guard you and guide you. The Lord has come just for this very task.
Many hesitate to believe that things will improve, that life will be happy for all and full of joy, and that the Golden Age will recur. Let me assure you that this Dharmaswarupa, this divine body, has not come in vain. It will succeed in averting the crisis that has come upon humanity.
- Forward to Sai Baba's Mahavakya on Leadership by M.L. Chibber, published by Leela Press, (December 1996)
Quotes about Sathya Sai Baba
- Sathya Sai Baba was an avatar of compassion, love, and selfless service for all mankind. He made no distinction between human beings. Thousands of poor people undergo treatment at his super-specialty hospital in Puttapurthi free of cost. That is the ultimate sewa; for people who cannot afford expensive treatment. Sai Baba's high ideals will show mankind the way for ages to come. His followers will always feel blessed with his emotional and spiritual proximity at all times.
- Baba Ramdev (As quoted in Times of India, April 25, 2011, http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-04-25/india/29471198_1_baba-ramdev-yoga-guru-avatar)
- Elevated souls like Sathya Sai Baba do not come on this earth plane often. Unborn generations to come will wonder at and be amazed by the grandeur of the individual that Baba was and will revere him as a benefactor of humanity. His overpowering love mesmerised and drew to him thousands from all over the world. His giving nature, his caring and sharing made him focus his energies towards ameliorating the suffering of others. For him to live was to love. His enigmatic and charismatic persona will hold sway over the generations to come. His teachings will continue to guide and assist thousands. The world has been left a richer and a better place by having been blessed by the holy presence of Sathya Sai Baba.
- Dada J.P. Vaswani (As quoted in http://www.sadhuvaswani.org/wordpress/?p=5851)
- The demise of the body was inevitable. But like the sun, which neither rises nor sets, consciousness was indestructible. The message of love and compassion given by Sai Baba had the power to inspire all. Through the implementation of his teachings, he would live forever. May his devotees be able to follow the path of truth and dharma shown by him
- Mata Amritanandamayi (As quoted in The Hindu, April 25, 2011, http://www.hindu.com/2011/04/25/stories/2011042565740300.htm )
- As a proponent of egalitarian values, he strived to create a world free of the divisions of caste, creed, religion, race and gender. His social initiatives, notably in the fields of education and public health, have been a great service to the world. His demise brings to a close an enigmatic persona that has been a great inspiration.
- Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, Founder, Isha Foundation (As quoted in Times of India, April 25, 2011,
- Sri Sathya Sai Baba will continue to live in the hearts of millions of devotees. His message of 'Love All and Serve All' will resonate in the world forever. His messages have always been universal; especially his message of 'Satya Dharma Shanti Prema' which has transcended all barriers of caste and religion. As Baba has departed earlier than he had predicted, he will return to the planet earlier.
- Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, as he was known, is one of the great spiritual luminaries of the 21st century. Even after his Mahasamadhi, his life and teachings will continue to inspire and influence people to live a noble life. The monumental work that he initiated and achieved is indeed exemplary. In Chinmaya Mission we have many fond memories of our Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda relating his many meetings with Bhagawan, and the love and regard they shared for each other. We pay our reverential homage to him.
- Swami Tejomayananda, Head, Chinmaya Mission Worldwide ( As quoted in a Message to Trustees of Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust and Members of the Sai family, Available at http://www.ssso.net/pnews-2011/Letter%20to%20Sri%20Sathya%20Sai%20Central%20Trust.pdf, Accessed on May 28, 2011 ).
- It would be simpler to say that the more you limit yourself the more normal you are and the more you expand yourself the more special you are. Here the implication of the word expansion goes beyond one’s own body and immediate family, say, maybe, expanding till your neighbourhood, colony, city, country, world... the entire creation. Expansion is directly proportional to your level of evolution — the more evolved you are, the more expanded you are and the more you will care about your surroundings. Satya Sai Baba was one such evolved, expanded human being... A person who is in vairagya, which is called one of the finalities in Sanatan Kriya, is least concerned about critics or acclaims. He just moves on the chosen path. It’s of no consequence to him who is saying what about him... good or bad. It’s his mission which is important and of utmost concern to him. No matter who says what, no matter what the circumstance, no matter what the occasion, he finds some way to put his point across and that too very effectively.
- Yogi Ashwini, Spiritual Guide, Dhyan Foundation (From the article 'Satya Sai: A born legend', Deccan Chronicle, April 28, 2011, Article available at http://www.deccanchronicle.com/editorial/op-ed/satya-sai-born-legend-726, Accessed on October 25, 2011).
- When such a spiritual personality passes away, we do not pray for their Satgati (divine beatitude) or Atma Shanti (Supreme Peace). On the contrary, we pray to them for our peace and happiness, for they have attained all that and more even when they are in the physical bodies. Mankind will be ever greatful to Babaji for making their lives more beautiful and worth living. May Babaji's blessing continue to shower on one and all alike!
- Message from Divine Life Society (As quoted in the 'The Divine Life', May 2011 issue, http://www.sivanandaonline.org/public_html/admin/media/pdf/2011/MAY-ENG-2011.pdf )
- Baba's words and actions have lit the lamp of love in the hearts of devotees and they will always remember him for the good things he has done.
- Hamid Ansari, Vice President of India, Hindustan Times, April 25, 2011
- I learnt of the passing away of Sri Satya Saibaba with deep and profound sadness. Sri Satya Saibaba was a spiritual leader who inspired millions to lead a moral and meaningful life even as they followed the religion of their choice. His teachings were rooted in the universal ideals of truth, right conduct, peace, love and non-violence... He believed that it is the duty of every person to ensure that all people have access to the basic requirements for sustenance of life. Sri Satya Saibaba was an inspiration to people of all faiths. The passing away of Sri Satya Saibaba is an irreparable loss to all and the nation deeply mourns his passing away...
- Dr Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India (As quoted in http://pmindia.nic.in/prelease/content4print.asp?id=1248)
- He's been the moving force behind my life and the life of my family. For us he is God almighty and therefore we are pained.
- Sunil Gavaskar, Former Cricketer (As quoted in Hindustan Times, April 25, 2011 and http://my.news.yahoo.com/gavaskar-condoles-death-sri-sathya-sai-baba-140600257.html)
- Baba has always been my mentor and it was a great loss when he left us. But I remember his lessons and will continue to adhere to them. I felt very low on the day that I sat near his body.
- Sachin Tendulkar, Cricketer (As quoted in The Economic Times, May 11, 2011, http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/et-cetera/i-just-could-not-control-myself-sachin-tendulkar/articleshow/8238816.cms )
- The news of the death of Sai Baba of Puttaparthi has greatly pained me. He was a spiritual person on whom lakhs of people had faith. In his lifetime, he inspired the people of this country and those abroad towards spiritualism and religion.
- Sonia Gandhi, UPA Chairperson and President, Indian National Congress (As quoted in Times of India, April 24, 2011, http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-04-24/india/29468754_1_sathya-sai-baba-bjp-leader-puttap)
- In passing away of Sri Sathya Sai Baba the country has lost an iconic spiritual leader and a philanthropist.
- Rajya Sabha (As quoted in News Today, August 2, 2011, http://newstodaynet.com/newsindex.php?id=23953%20&%20section=5; http://188.8.131.52/newlobsessions/sessionno/223/010811.pdf)
- International Sri Sathya Sai Organization
- Introduction to Sathya Sai Baba
- Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust
- Sri Sathya Sai Books & Publication Trust
- Bhagwan Shri Sathya Sai Baba
- Who is Sri Sathya Sai Baba
- Discourses by Sathya Sai Baba
- Sai Streaming Videos
- Sai Baba of India
- Thought for the day
- Sai Baba Website
- Radio Sai Global Harmony
- Avatar of our days — Sathya Sai Baba
- Sathya Sai Baba
- Sai Sathya Sai