Shreya Ghoshal (born 12 March 1984) is an Indian playback singer. She has received four National Film Awards, six Filmfare Awards and nine Filmfare Awards South (one for Telugu, two for Kannada, two for Tamil and four for Malayalam) to date. She has recorded songs for film music in various Indian languages, and has established herself as a leading playback singer of Indian cinema.
Ghoshal's quotes about music
- I am an easy going person. I don't sing for money or fame. I was brought up in an environment where I was taught to love and respect music, not consider it a business.
- I always feel that I must do something new, at least for my fans.
- Hahaha... I can't understand why people constantly speak about the romantic quality in my voice. I have never made a conscious effort to sing with an extra romantic effect. But, I do enjoy love songs, as I am a romantic person.
- The focus is only on singing. But a National Award is like a pat on the back as it's given to the best. Being awarded is also nerve-racking as the expectations and pressure rise. But it just motivates me to work harder.
- Bollywood film music composers are under a lot of pressure to add elements of disco or bhangra or any other flavour currently popular with the youth. But when it comes to regional films, composers are given a free hand and they compose music they believe in. I think it's a matter of great pride to be singing such soulful tunes.
- Oh, I have a special way of writing the lyrics when it is dictated to me. No matter what the language of the song, even if it is Bengali, I write it in Hindi. I have certain notations and markings to indicate the way it should be pronounced. I feel the Devanagari script is the closest to the phonetics of the language. English alphabets are not very good for that purpose. Moreover, I listen carefully and try to grasp as much as possible when the lyrics are read to me.
- Seriously! Acting in films is not my cup of tea. The joy I find in being a pucca musician is unparalleled.
- A studio is like a meditation room where music is created. And a live performance is the place where the creation of the studio is taken ahead. I love both.
- I love the idea of waking up to a song. It could be any song.
- I think today there is space and work available for everyone out here. Earlier the scenario was different. Like there was a time when there was monopoly, only two or three singers would get to sing...It was difficult that time. But today the emphasis is on newness, novelty, so there is room for everyone.
- I am not a competitive person. I am a kind who will cheer for every one who is stepping up the stage for the award and I congratulate all the nominees and the winners along with me. Because according to me all the singers who were nominated are best as they sang different kinds of songs.
- An award means a lot to me. It brings happiness along with a kind of fear. It brings fear because the award is the responsibility which audiences have put on us. So a singer winning an award should always try to give best of him to the audiences.
- To me, music is oxygen and I know that someday even if I can't sing, I can always continue listening to it.
- As someone who worships music, I believe it can never be ugly!
- I actually have a lot of couples coming and telling me that one of my songs was instrumental in strengthening their romance.
- Titles or awards are not the mark of your success. They are the beginning of a life-long sadhana. Learning should never stop. Discipline of riyaz is a must if you are serious about pursuing an art.
- If music is what can be called my strategy, then every singer should be trying that.
- Everything has a time; it’s not necessary that everyone gets a break at the age of 16. There are so many renowned actors and singers who have got their break much later in life. Don’t hurry and let the music remain pure.
- You do not want to hear your voice in every song, as it gets monotonous. So, it’s important to have the right kind of balance.
- Music completely overpowers me. Love it when I can experience it with my live audience.
- I want to keep working 24*7. When I am not singing, I go into deep introspection mode and start asking myself, why I am not getting much songs. I feel even working 24*7 every day is less for me.
Ghoshal's quotes about life
- I love to travel and read books but it's cooking that has a healing effect on me. Whenever I am not well I cook something nice and the aroma of the food works wonders for me.
- I believe, entertainment has its pros and cons. It is important, but too much involvement of kids can deter them from achieving their key goals.
- I don't believe in pretending to be someone else. I'm what I actually am in real life. For instance, like any normal girl, I fight with my mother. I mean, it is just fine. In fact, I fight daily with my mother.
- I am not the kind of person who fights. You will not see me fighting with anyone. It's like if I like someone and the other two judges don't agree with my judgement, I may cry, but I won't walk away from the sets or anything like that.
- I do not like sweets. But if I have to choose one, it has to be rasmalai.
- Reading the newspaper or watching the news in the morning. I don’t like starting my day on a bad note.
- When people address me as Shreyaji, I tell them, ek G Ghoshal ka to banta hai, lekin (G for Ghoshal is alright, but) please don’t call me Shreyaji!.
- Today kids are more advanced, smarter. When we came in reality show we were untrained in terms of facing television. That time TV was just starting out. We were nervous and shy. Today`s kids have seen it all.
- It's not a new thing but maybe people have started noticing me more now. It's a good change for me and everyone else. I have always enjoyed dressing up but I don't do it as often as I would want to, because it's time consuming. But now, especially when I have to go for fancy promotional visits, I try to enjoy the process of letting the make-up and hair people do their job.
- I have always wanted to get married since I was 20. I am a very romantic person and have fallen in love plenty of times. I adore people and get smitten by some people and have made my mistakes. I like men who have their own voice, are opinionated but are not rude. I don't like very serious people as I believe that there must be a fun element to life.
- I believe without a struggle there is no fun. If everything comes easily to you then there is no sense of satisfaction at having achieved something.
- I still get heartbreak fan mail. I think fans who send them are in denial. They are unable to accept that I am married now. And, yes, I enjoy it (laughs).
Quotes about Ghoshal
- Shreya Ghoshal has such a stunning voice.
- Shreya Ghoshal is an asset to the music industry.
- With her "Issshhhhhh..." in 'Bairi Piya' song from Devdas, Shreya Ghoshal, the Bengali beauty became the singing sensation of India.
- She doesn’t like corrections. She would rather do it again than leave it to the machine.
- The best quality about her is that the expressions come perfectly along with mannerisms. If there'll be best all-time singers, Shreya will surely be included in that. She is very special to me".
- She is one of the most versatile and accomplished singers of the past decade and the current Bollywood scene.
- She is lovely as always.
- I take that as a compliment but I’m nowhere close to Shreya Ghoshal.
Ghoshal's quotes about celebrities
- Sorry sad to hear abt Bhupen Hazarika Ji. Another legend lost. His voice and songs will be alive in our hearts forever. Rest in peace.
- Zindagi kaisi hai paheli, Puchho na kaise, ek chatur naar, aao twist karein, aaja sanam madhur.. Such versatility and command over all genres. Rest in peace Manna Dey saab.. You and your voice are immortal.. Your songs will continue to inspire millions forever.
- He is an encyclopedia of good music. He creates magic. He is humble and genius. He is a dedicated, passionate person and believes in perfection. So all those who work with him, including the actors, believe in giving their best. He gets the best out of everyone.
- I am fortunate to have worked with him and to have known him for so many years, and with no hesitation, I can say that there is absolutely no one with that passion for music and of course, films. He is an encyclopaedia of Indian music. So when we are in the studio, I just follow him like a student. He is as brilliant a composer as he is a director-producer.
- Dipa Karmakar You are an inspiration. Keep working hard, keep making us proud. It's hard being an athlete in India, yet you did it all.
- Working with Gulzar uncle is a dream for anyone who is sensitive towards music and literature, and I am one of them. Although I've had his affection in the professional relationship that we shared, being part of an album that is so close to his heart is a privilege.