Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Perhaps the place to start looking for a credibility gap is not in the offices of the Government in Washington but in the studios of the networks in New York!
- From speech delivered Nov 13, 1969 in Des Moines, Iowa
- A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals.
- Denouncing Moratorium Day protest against Vietnam War; in NY "Times," 20 Oct 69
- In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism.
- Speech in San Diego (11 September 1970).
- Agnew's signature quip against everything perceived to be liberal, particularly the media at that time.
- This is the criminal left that belongs not in a dormitory, but in a penitentiary. The criminal left is not a problem to be solved by the Department of Philosophy or the Department of English—it is a problem for the Department of Justice…. Black or white, the criminal left is interested in power. It is not interested in promoting the renewal and reforms that make democracy work; it is interested in promoting those collisions and conflict that tear democracy apart.
- Speech at a Florida Republican dinner, Fort Lauderdale, Florida (April 28, 1970); reported in Collected Speeches of Spiro Agnew (1971), p. 135.
- Your highness is already familiar with the unrelenting Zionist efforts to destroy me
Zionists in the United States knew that I would never agree to the continuance of the unfair and disastrous favoring of Israel and they had to get me out of office there so that I would not succeed Nixon
The Zionists have orchestrated a well-organized attack on me
to bleed me of my resources to continue my effort to inform the American people of their control of the media and other influential sectors of American society
Quotes about Agnew
- Sing a song of Spiro Agnew and all the things he has done. (No other lyrics)
- Tom Paxton
- Boy! They're (MAD Magazine) really sockin' it to that Spiro Agnew guy again, he must work there or something.
- Milhouse Van Houten, The Simpsons.