(Redirected from Spiro T. Agnew)
- Perhaps the place to start looking for a credibility gap is not in the offices of the Government in Washington but in the studios of the networks in New York!
- From speech delivered Nov 13, 1969 in Des Moines, Iowa
- A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals.
- Denouncing Moratorium Day protest against Vietnam War; in NY "Times," 20 Oct 69
- In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism.
- Speech in San Diego (11 September 1970).
- Agnew's signature quip against everything perceived to be liberal, particularly the media at that time.
- This is the criminal left that belongs not in a dormitory, but in a penitentiary. The criminal left is not a problem to be solved by the Department of Philosophy or the Department of English—it is a problem for the Department of Justice…. Black or white, the criminal left is interested in power. It is not interested in promoting the renewal and reforms that make democracy work; it is interested in promoting those collisions and conflict that tear democracy apart.
- Speech at a Florida Republican dinner, Fort Lauderdale, Florida (April 28, 1970); reported in Collected Speeches of Spiro Agnew (1971), p. 135.
Quotes about Agnew
- Sing a song of Spiro Agnew and all the things he has done. (No other lyrics)
- Tom Paxton
- Boy! They're (MAD Magazine) really sockin' it to that Spiro Agnew guy again, he must work there or something.
- Milhouse Van Houten, The Simpsons.