State of Grace (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A family ripped apart by violence. A love corrupted by betrayal. A friendship stained by blood. (taglines)
State of Grace is a 1990 film about a man who returns home to New York's Hells Kitchen after a ten year absence. He soon hooks up with childhood pal who is involved in the Irish mob run by his brother.
- Directed by Phil Joanou. Written by Dennis McIntyre.
- So I was in Boston, I just ended up there. Seemed far enough away. They come to me then, it just happened, you know how that is, things happen and other things happen and it's your life. They were looking to get somebody to go undercover here, they wanted to get somebody who knew the Kitchen who was known. And I coulda said no but I thought I could do it. It was like this opportunity in which I could look the entire thing in the eye. And you'd be gone, or married, forgot about me I thought. And Jack, I would leave him out of it. But it was only an idea. Nothing to do with the truth. It was just a fuckin' idea like... You believe in the angels or the saints or there's such a thing as a state of grace. And you believe it, but it's got nothing to do with reality. It just an idea. I mean you got your ideas and you got reality, and they're all... they're all fucked up.
- Nobody's doin' nothin' to nobody. It's all just happenin', see?
- She thinks I'm an asshole. And if she thinks that about me, what in the long run is she going to think about you?
- Either they forgot about us, or this entire fuckin' neighborhood better get ready to duck.
- [at the church] I came here, I knelt down, I thought about Stevie as hard as I could... and I hoped it was praying.
- Terry Noonan: What did Frankie say?
- Jackie Flannery: Stevie never hurt nobody. I hurt people. Frankie hurts people. Stevie borrowed money, that's all. Who'd kill him over fuckin' money?
- Kathleen Flannery: You're acting surprised, Jackie? Are you serious? You want us to think this surprises you? Every time you turn around down here, somebody else is dead.
- Jackie Flannery: What you talkin' about?
- Kathleen Flannery: How many wakes we go to as kids because somebody forgot to pay back money?
- Jackie Flannery: Every time we turn around, somebody's dead? Bullshit!
- [Jackie begins to spin around]
- Jackie Flannery: See! See! Stevie never hurt nobody!
- Jackie Flannery: [handing Stevie a paper] There's a horse running in the first called "Old Friend Arrives."
- Stevie McGuire: No shit! [to Terry] Look at this! First you save my ass, now you're gonna' win me some money! I love you, Terry, but I gotta' go. OTB opens in ten minutes. Today's my lucky day.
- Terry Noonan: See you later.
- [Stevie leaves]
- Terry Noonan: . Lucky day. Luckiest day he ever had, his fuckin' dog got run over.
- Jackie Flannery: Is he fucked up or is he fucked up?
- Jackie Flannery: What's the matter, your stomach upset?
- Terry Noonan: Starting to get up in the morning Jack, it's like I'm pulling my socks over my shoes.
- Jackie Flannery: Yeah?
- Terry Noonan: Like I'm in this fucking fog.
- Jackie Flannery: Terry, you're missing the point here. I can't remember shit, that's the way I like it. Only hint of a problem is I need a little Maalox, but I can buy Maalox.
- Terry Noonan: You always were tougher than me Jack.
- Jackie Flannery: I always thought I was just crazier.
- Jackie Flannery: Yuppies got to be thicker than the rats and the roaches. Assholes can't live without their dogs. Got dog shit all over the sidewalk. And it didn't use to be that way, it used to be, you dropped a cone, you could lift it up and finish it. People are roaming the streets homeless because of these assholes!
- Terry: So we're like Robin Hood in this instance.
- Jackie Flannery: Yeah. And I'm Friar Fuck.
- Jackie Flannery: The last guinea who walked around up here was Columbus, and he only lasted a week.
- Borelli's Man: What are you, some fuckin' asshole? Or are you just taking lessons?
- [Jackie Flannery smirks and headbutts him]
- Jackie Flannery: The funeral's in Queens. I hate drivin' in fuckin' Queens.
- Terry Noonan: Do you want me to drive?
- Jackie Flannery: Nah... then I would have to look out the window...
- Jackie Flannery: I wanna have kids. Just gotta find the right broad like Frankie did. Someone who lets me fool around on the weekends and still make pancakes before Sunday Mass. Like Irene maybe.
- Terry Noonan: Who's Irene?
- Jackie Flannery: Ooooh! You've got to meet her man. I spend one night with her my eyes are crossed for days. I walk into walls.
- Terry Noonan: I'd like to meet her.
- Jackie Flannery: She's mine though.
- Terry Noonan: Be up to the angels I guess.
- Jackie Flannery: Hm. Them fucks.
- A family ripped apart by violence. A love corrupted by betrayal. A friendship stained by blood.
- The Irish mob in Hell's Kitchen.
- Sean Penn - Terry Noonan
- Ed Harris - Frankie Flannery
- Gary Oldman - Jackie Flannery
- Robin Wright - Kathleen Flannery
- John Turturro - Nick
- John C. Reilly - Stevie McGuire
- R. D. Call - Pat Nicholson
- Joe Viterelli - Borelli
- Burgess Meredith - Finn
- Marco St. John - Jimmy Cavello
- Mo Gaffney - Maureen
- Deirdre O'Connell - Irene
- Thomas G. Waites - Frankie's man
- Brian Burke - Frankie's man
- Michael Cumpsty - Frankie's man