Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner, CBE (born 2 October 1951), more famous by the stage name Sting is an English musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, activist, actor and philanthropist, known as the principal songwriter, lead singer, and bassist for the influential new wave rock band The Police and for his subsequent solo career.
- See also: The Police
- Dissent is a legitimate and essential right in any democracy and modern politicians must accept this fact with tolerance. A sense of proportion — and a sense of humour — is a sign of strength, not a sign of weakness.
- Joining with Amnesty International in condemning the Russian authorities’ treatment of Pussy Riot, a Russian punk rock protest band. "Sting condemns Russia's treatment of Pussy Riot musicians ahead of Moscow concert" Amnesty International (25 July 2012)
- Jung believed there was a large pattern to life, that it wasn't just chaos. Our song Synchronicity II is about two parallel events that aren't connected logically or causally, but symbolically.
- On the song Synchronicity II, as quoted in "Official Police business" by Jay Cocks, in TIME magazine (15 August 1983), p. 50
- We are a parliamentary democracy; we don’t function by plebiscite. It’s dangerous. I don’t believe in referendums – Hitler and Mussolini organised referendums
- Speaking against BREXIT (express.co.uk "‘A DISASTER!’ Brexit TORN APART by Sting - ‘I hope it WON’T HAPPEN - it’s all LIES’" Mon, May 6, 2019)
- I am the first male in the family not having had to shoot against another European
- Speaking about its opinions about European Union ("È indubbio che servano riforme per questa Unione Europea, ma per realizzarle si deve restare a quel tavolo. E non dimentichiamo che l'Europa ci ha dato settant'anni di pace: io sono il primo maschio in famiglia a non aver dovuto sparare contro un altro europeo." - From ilgiornale.it "Altro che lo streaming. Faccio rivivere i classici dei Police" - Mar, 28/05/2019 by Ferruccio Gattuso)
- I know a great deal about Indian music and I have tried to understand its intricacies. I am aware how complex ragas are and how specific the rhythm is. I will spend the rest of my life discovering this wonderful India. I’ve become addicted to it.
- Quoted from Gewali, Salil (2013). Great Minds on India. New Delhi: Penguin Random House.
- Democracy is under attack. It's under attack in every country in the world. It's in grave danger of being lost unless we defend it.
- The alternative to democracy is a nightmare, a prison, of the mind. That alternative is tyranny. All tyranny is based on a lie. The greater the tyranny, the bigger the lie.
- Disagree with the tyrant and you risk imprisonment, torture and death. Yet that is what we must do, all of us. We must protect our right to speak the truth.
- The war in the Ukraine is an absurdity, based upon a lie. If we swallow that lie, the lie will eat us. The lie is terrified of the truth.
- We must not lose this battle.
- Said about the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, quoted in "Sting warns during Warsaw concert of threats to democracy", ABC News, 31 July 2022
With one breath, with one flow
You will know
A sleep trance, a dream dance,
A shared romance
A connecting principle
Linked to the invisible
- "Synchronicity I"
- If we share this nightmare
Then we can dream
If you act as you think
The missing link
- "Synchronicity I"
A star fall, a phone call
It joins all
It's so deep, it's so wide
Effect without a cause
Sub-atomic laws, scientific pause
- "Synchronicity I"
- Mother chants her litany of boredom and frustration
But we know all her suicides are fake
Daddy only stares into the distance
There's only so much more that he can take
Many miles away something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark Scottish lake
- Daddy grips the wheel and stares alone into the distance
He knows that something somewhere has to break
He sees the family home now, looming in his headlights
The pain upstairs that makes his eyeballs ache
Many miles away there's a shadow on the door
Of a cottage on the shore
Of a dark Scottish lake
- "Synchronicity II"