The Police was a three-piece British new wave band which was strongly influenced by reggae. Coming to prominence in the wake of the punk rock phenomenon, they rose to become one of the most popular groups in the world from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s, with an astonishing 19 singles on either the US US Billboard Hot 100 or UK Singles Chart. Their lead singer, and most famous member, was Sting.
- See also: Sting (musician)
- Poets, priests and poiticians
Have words to thank for their positions
Words that scream for your submission
And no one's jamming their transmission
- "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"
- It's no use, he sees her
He starts to shake and cough
Just like the old man in
That book by Nabokov
- "Don't Stand So Close To Me"
- How my poor heart aches with every step you take.
- "Every Breath You Take"
- There's a little black spot on the sun today
That's my soul up there.
- "King of Pain"
- Walked out this morning, don't believe what I saw
A hundred billion bottles washed up on the shore
Seems I'm not alone at being alone
A hundred billion castaways, looking for a home
- "Message In A Bottle"
- I sold my house
I sold my motor, too.
All I want is to be next to you.
I'd rob a bank
Maybe steal a plane.
You took me over,
Think I'm goin' insane.
- "Next To You"
- Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light
- There is no political solution
To our troubled evolution
Have no faith in constitution
There is no bloody revolution
We are spirits in the material world
- "Spirits in the Material World"
- Daddy only stares into the distance
There's only so much more that he can take.
Many miles away something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark Scottish lake.
- "Synchronicity II"
- Some may say
I'm wishing my days away
And if it's the price I pay
Tomorrow's another day
I may as well play
- "Walking on the Moon"
- You consider me the young apprentice
Caught between the Scylla and Charibdys.
Hypnotized by you if I should linger
Staring at the ring around your finger.
- I will turn your face to alabaster
When you find your servant is your master.
- "Wrapped Around Your Finger"
- Outlandos d'Amour (1978) (US sales: 3 million)
- Reggatta de Blanc (1979) (US sales: Gold)
- Zenyatta Mondatta (1980) (US sales: 2 million)
- Ghost in the Machine (1981) (US sales: 4 million)
- Synchronicity (1983) (US sales: 8 million)
- Every Breath You Take: The Singles (1986) (US sales: Platinum)
- Message in a Box: The Complete Recordings (1993)
- Every Breath You Take: The Classics (1995) (US sales: 3 million)
- Live! (1995)
- The Very Best Of... Sting & The Police (1997, 2002)