Organized alphabetically by author.
- It is best to be with those in time that we hope to be with in eternity.
- Keep good company, and you shall be of the number.
- If men wish to be held in esteem, they must associate with those only who are estimable.
- He who comes from the kitchen smells of its smoke; he who adheres to a sect has something of its cant; the college air pursues the student, and dry inhumanity him who herds with literary pedants.
- Be very circumspect in the choice of thy company. In the society of thine equals thou shalt enjoy more pleasure; in the society of thy superiors thou shalt find more profit. To be the best in the company is the way to grow worse; the best means to grow better is to be the worst there.
- Choose the company of your superiors whenever you can have it.
- I set it down as a maxim, that it is good for a man to live where he can meet his betters, intellectual and social.