Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Audrey Hepburn. --Antiquary 19:09, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Always be a first rate version of yourself.
- This is Judy Garland, who said "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
- Some people dream of having a big swimming pool — with me, it's closets.
- I never thought I'd land in pictures with a face like mine.
- I probably hold the distinction of being one movie star who, by all laws of logic, should never have made it. At each stage of my career, I lacked the experience.
- I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.
- If I blow my nose, it gets written all over the world.
- If I get married, I want to be very married.
- My look is attainable. Women can look like Audrey Hepburn by flipping out their hair, buying the large sunglasses, and the little sleeveless dresses.
- I was born with something that appealed to an audience at that particular time...I acted instinctively. I've had one of the greatest schools of all — a whole row of great, great directors.
- Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!
- For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
- This was actually a quote from Sam Levenson's poem Time Tested Beauty Tips. The original poem went: "For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone." The poem goes on to say, "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anybody."- which is another quote often misattributed to Audrey Hepburn. She loved the poem and spoke it's words often, but they were NOT originally her words. For the full poem, go to This Page
Quotes about Hepburn (unsourced)
- Listed alphabetically by author
- This could be the last and only opportunity I'd have to work with the great and lovely Audrey, and I was not missing it.
- You take the Monroes and the Terry Moores, and you know just what you're going to get every time. With Audrey it's kind of unpredictable. She's like a good tennis player - she varies her shots.
- I think that there are few people in one's life that you never really feel that they're gone. I have to remind myself that she isn't around.
- All I want for Christmas is another movie with Audrey Hepburn.
- Cary Grant
- The slimmest waist since the Civil War. You could get a dog collar around it.
- She's as good as the other Hepburn.
- John Huston
- I can't stand it! I know I've got the best tits on stage, and yet they're all staring at a girl who hasn't got any!
- Aud Johanssen, chorine
- I had plenty of qualms about Audrey when we met for the first rehearsal, but from then on, working with her was one big kick... Audrey and I decided we'd throw a party for the cast and the crew when the picture was finished. We went all out, had it catered by Romanoff's - nothing but the best. In the middle of the party, Audrey sidled up to me, jabbed me with her elbow, and said, out of the corner of her mouth, "Hey, Shirl-Girl, whattaya think the bruise is gonna be for this bash?"
- I don't want to be ungallant, but Audrey's too old and wrinkled for me.
- Groucho Marx in response to rumors of an affair.
- When we climbed out of the airplane [in Beijing], to my amazement I saw about two hundred little Chinese Audrey Hepburns waiting at the airport. Roman Holiday was playing in China for the first time - thirty years after we made it - and attracting enormous crowds. Everywhere we went we saw little Audrey Hepburns with the bangs and the long skirts."
- It was my good luck during that wonderful summer in Rome, to be the first of her screen fellows, to hold out my hand, and help her keep her balance as she did her spins and pirouttes. Those months were probably the happiest experience I ever had making movies.
- Gregory Peck
- After so many drive-in waitresses becoming movie stars, there has been this real drought, when along came class; somebody who actually went to school, can spell, maybe even plays the piano. She may be a wispy, thin little thing, but when you see that girl, you know you're really in the presence of something. In that league there's only ever been Garbo, and the other Hepburn, and maybe Bergman. It's a rare quality, but boy, do you know when you've found it.
- Director Billy Wilder about Audrey Hepburn
- This girl, singlehanded, may make bosoms a thing of the past.
- Billy Wilder