- Please source your quotations. Including the name of the author is not all that helpful (although it is better than nothing). If at all possible, include the name of the author, the name of the text, and a brief description of the context, especially if the source is a commentary or an academic work (and not a Buddhist primary source itself).
- Preferably, this article would separate primary sources (i.e., texts intended to be Buddhist teachings) and secondary sources (i.e., texts about Buddhism, commenting on Buddhism). But, considering the enormity of the current article and the lack (in most places) of any sort of reference that would lend itself to verification and proper sourcing, I am at a loss as to where to begin. Help? tartaruga 17:52, 24 December 2006 (UTC)
- I messed it up!!!!! i sowiee, someone fix it please.
I've done a little work on arranging and formatting the quotes. There is a lot more that needs to be done which I'll try to get to as time permits. I have to go offline for a bit and didn't want anyone to think I'm satisfied with the present page. This is a quoteworthy subject and one I'm interested in, I'll see what I can do... --Bradeos Graphon 01:05, 20 March 2008 (UTC)
- Buddhists believe that all human sufferings and dissatisfactions stem from desire or "thirst" (trishna) — for possessions , sensual pleasures, power, even for wisdom and knowledge—which warps our minds and distorts our understanding. The Buddha compared a life governed by the delusions of trishna to a river in flood, sweeping us away to a life of constant discontentment. Learning how to control our cravings is the raft that can carry us over the flood to the opposite shore of insight and peace of mind.
- Sow a thought and reap an act
Sow an act and reap a habit
Sow a habit and reap a character
Sow a character and reap a destiny
v in PTS references does not mean verse
Please take care not to mistake the roman numeral v (meaning volume 5) for an abbreviation for "verse", as someone apparently did with a Samyutta reference.220.127.116.11 13:53, 17 April 2016 (UTC)