Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For six days, thou shall push up and down the line, but on the seventh day thou shall swipe.
- Doug Padgett, 1969
- When you win the toss – bat. If you are in doubt, think about it, then bat. If you have very big doubts, consult a colleague – then bat.
- Attributed to W. G. Grace.
- Cricket needs brightening up a bit. My solution is to let players drink at the beginning of the game, not after. It always works in our picnic matches.
- Cricket is battle and service and sport and art.
- Douglas Jardine, captain of England, 1931-34. Jardine was quoting a phrase that had previously been used by a New Zealander; as he said during that filmed sequence of the speech
- Cricket is just baseball on valium.
- "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?"
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1996) Amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting.