Talk:Democratic Party (United States)
Major cleanup of disastrous page
I have gone through the article and done some major cleanup. The page was just a complete and total disaster, with probably hundreds and hundreds of quotes that were inapt or not quotable. Some of the major problems that I've seen:
- Most prominently - a far, far out of proportionate weight to Democratic support for racial segregation in the past, particularly in the 19th century. Some quotes on this should be included, of course, but the emphasis here was extremely massive, and seems calculated to make a point;
- Relatedly, an overwhelming negative tone. Of course, there should be some less-than-complimentary quotes included, but the overall tone is unduly and incredibly negative.
- Quotes sourced to Internet comment sections, Facebook, obscure and self-published blogs, letters to the editor, etc.;
- Quotes that don't mention or refer to the party in any way (i.e., random quotes that happen to be from Democrats);
- Quotes that are highly recentistic in character - i.e., quotes taken from columns and op-eds that will not be memorable in five years, much less 10 or 15 years; and
- A lack of modern quotes from the 20th and 21st century (i.e., quotations from the party's 19th-century platforms, but not from its 20th or 21st century platforms). Neutrality (talk) 19:53, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
- I've also noticed several inappropriate uses of captions and photographs. For example, (1) there is a photo of Nancy Pelosi, and then the following caption underneath it "The Democrats in the last elections proved themselves to be a bunch of dithering pussies. ~ John Perry Barlow" and (2) under a second photograph of Pelosi, there is another unrelated quote: "The Democrats just never learn. Americans don't really care which side of an issue you're on as long as you don't act like pussies. ~ Bill Maher"
- This is obviously problematic; the junction of photo and caption is sexist, if not defamatory.
- More broadly, there are far too many photos, and nearly 100% of them are negative in tone (anti-Democratic Party), with a large proportion devoted to antebellum civil rights. This is entirely unbalanced. Neutrality (talk) 21:00, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
- Since the time that the above contributor fixed this page, it has been restored to its previous inflammatory and heavily biased and agenda-seeking form, particularly in the pictures. At this point, I suggest that the person responsible be banned.
It's really interesting that all the captions in the photos alongside the page of Republican-centered quotes are all strongly pro-Republican, and all the captions in the photos along the page of Democratic-centered quotes are almost all strongly anti-Democratic. What an amazing coincidence! Fortunately, I'm not an American, so I can fix this without having any conflict of interest. DragonflySixtyseven (talk) 19:00, 22 May 2018 (UTC)