|This article was preserved after a vote for its deletion.
See its archived VfD entry for details.
- I was born. I had a mother and father. I lived in a house. I went to school. What does it matter?
- I don't have to live in New York. I could live in hell.
- Mr. Hitler was big on me. He kept writing and inviting me to come to Germany, and if the war hadn't started when it did, I would have gone and I would have taken a gun out of my purse and shot him, because I am the only person who would not have been searched.
- I'm a woman who's unfaithful to a million men.
- Love? It is the beginning and the ending of a woman's education.
- I sailed on a freighter through the Panama Canal as a strapping young boy.
- Who are all these people who write? I don't know them. They don't know me. What have we to write each other about? Why do they want my picture? I'm not their relative.
- There is no one who would have me...I can't cook.
- If only those who dream about Hollywood knew how difficult it all is.
- The story of my life is about back entrances, side doors, secrets elevators and other ways of getting in and out of places so that people won't bother me.
- Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
- You don't have to be married to have a good friend as your partner for life.
- Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it.
- Being a movie star, and this applies to all of them, means being looked at from every possible direction. You are never left at peace, you're just fair game.
- I don't want to be a silly temptress. I cannot see any sense in getting dressed up and doing nothing but tempting men in pictures.
- Your joys and sorrows. You can never tell them. You cheapen the inside of yourself if you do.
- If you're going to die on screen, you've got to be strong and in good health.
- There are many things in your heart you can never tell another person. They are you, your private joys and sorrows, and you can never tell them. You cheapen yourself, the inside of yourself, when you tell them.
- I live like a monk: with one toothbrush, one cake of soap, and a pot of cream.
- Is there anything better than to be longing for something, when you know it is within reach?
- Every one of us lives his life just once; if we are honest, to live once is enough.
- There seems to be a law that governs all our actions, so I never make plans.
- If you are blessed, you are blessed, whether you are married or single.
- There are some who want to get married and others who don't. I have never had an impulse to go to the altar. I am a difficult person to lead.
- I smoke all the time, one after the other.
About Greta Garbo
- Look at Johnny Gilbert. Oh, isn't he a darbo? With nose transfixed to collarbone inhaling Greta Garbo.
- Anonymous (1928)
- If it could be said that Hollywood had a Queen, that Queen was Greta Garbo!
- She must think, that I’m trying to imitate her, but Garbo is unique. Garbo never gives Interviews and I wish I could do that too.
- What was miraculous about Garbo was her innate mystique. It is difficult to describe a face of such radiant beauty…When an actor or actress walks on stage and you suddenly become aware that the stage has been lit up, that everyone’s eyes are fixed on the person in question – that kind of magnetism is nothing short of miraculous.
- Mademoiselle Hamlet.
- She had a real mystique and a real real gift for movie acting.
- The only one who has ever been really mysterious.
- Like Gone With the Wind, Greta Garbo is monumentally overrated. Her voice is deep, she has no humor, her figure is flat, her carriage is not graceful, her feet are big, her private life is a fog. Only her face is perfect.
- Garbo made me what I am today. She is responsible for my being on the screen.