Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Henri Matisse. --Antiquary 18:49, 31 May 2009 (UTC)
- A young painter who cannot liberate himself from the influence of past generations is digging his own grave.
- As I create these colored cutouts, it seems to me that I advance joyfully to meet whatever awaits. I do not believe I have ever experienced such peace and harmony as in making these cutout papers.
- I do not literally paint the table, but the emotion it produces on me...
- I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
- In modern art, it is undoubtedly to Cezanne that I owe the most.
- Instinct must be thwarted just as one prunes the branches of a tree so that it will grow better.
- Seek the strongest Color effect possible... the content is of no importance.
- The artist has but one idea. He is born with it and spends a lifetime developing it and making it breathe. I basically work without theory. I am aware only of the forces I use, and I move along the course of the picture's creation, pushed by an idea that I come to know only gradually as it develops.
- The essential thing is to spring forth, to express the bolt of lightning one senses upon contact with a thing. The function of the artist is not to translate an observation but to express the shock of the object on his nature; the shock, with the original reaction.
- We must see all life as if we were children.
- Without passion there is no art.
- The artist only sees old truths in a new light,because there are no new truths.
- What I dream of is an art of balance,of purity and serenity.
- Composition is the art of arranging in a decorative manner the various elements at the painter's disposal for the expression of his feelings.
- There is discontinuity between my former paintings and my cut-outs,only with more absloluteness and more abstraction.
- I had this dance in me for a long time,and I had to put it into La joie de vivre. It was like a rhythm within me that carried me along.
- A pair of scissors is a ... wonderful instrument ... an occupation I can lose myself in ... my pleasure in cutting things out grows ever greater. Why didn't I think of it before.