Anyone know anything about this quote (source etc.)?
- If all the insects were to disappear from the Earth, within fifty years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within fifty years all forms of life would flourish.
i heard it today on a video at TED.com - a video of Sir Ken Robinson on education system. he mentioned the source as Jonas Salk. when i checked on the net, i found 3-4 references which confirmed this. however, what i didnot find was, when and where Salk said this.(biren shah)
I'd say it's probably not him, it's completely unsourced and just look at every other sourced quote by him, they aren't even slightly in alignment with this view, they seem very humanist to me and trusting in humanity.
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Jonas Salk. --Antiquary 18:33, 29 May 2009 (UTC)
- We need a large overarching perspective.
- Personal conversation with Dionysios (this alone does not qualify as a sourced comment by Wikimedia and Wikiquote standards)
- Risks, I like to say, always pay off. You learn what to do or what not to do.
Check a similar quote by E.o. Wilson
To wit: "I have dreams, and I have nightmares. I overcame the nightmares because of my dreams." The source currently given is "As quoted in Wisdom for the Soul: Five Millennia of Prescriptions for Spiritual Healing (2006) by Larry Chang." Uh, yeah. Does anyone have a source that does not involve an unsubstantiated claim by a new age guru? I found the book on Google Books and he provides no source. Tualha (talk) 21:23, 29 November 2014 (UTC)
- Though it is desirable to find the earliest and most direct sources possible, it is not a requirement. If there is strong evidence provided he never said such a thing, in any of his many interviews or appearances, rather than unsubstantiated implications that such a comment would be entirely alien to his attitudes and assertions, it could be moved into a disputed section, and if ever sufficient evidence of dishonesty or other actual error was proven in Larry Chang's attribution, it could be moved to a "Misattributed" section. ~ ♞☤☮♌Kalki·†·⚓⊙☳☶⚡ 21:42, 29 November 2014 (UTC)