Talk:Marie of Edinburgh, Queen of Romania
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Romania needs a face, and I will be that face.
- On her participation in the Treaty of Versailles negotiations
- Fashion exists for women with no taste, etiquette for people with no breeding.
- Perhaps you will find me more agreeable.
- When Georges Clemenceau said "I don't like your Prime Minister" at the Versailles Peace Talks of 1919
- Lately I have been living in a world which I no more understand & which has become very lonely; Ileana married, Sitta gone, Nicky banished, but I struggle on. I look beaten but am I really beaten? I was always a good fighter, you remember. But fight against one's own flesh & blood?
- In a letter to her cousin George V of the United Kingdomin the 1930s. "Ileana" refers to her youngest daughter, "Sitta" to her daughter in law (Princess Helen of Greece) and "Nicky" to her son Prince Nicholas of Romania.
- He kicks against tradition and restrictions without realising that tradition made him, is his raison d'etre.
- On Edward, Prince of the Wales, the future King Edward VIII.
- One is always afraid of upsetting their conventionalities.
- Said during a visit to her cousin, George V and his wife Queen Mary.