"Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never play cards with a man called Doc. And never sleep with a woman who has more troubles than you." --Nelson Algren
There are several different wordings floating around, but Algren predates Sharon Stone quite significantly. [unsigned]
- There are at last two wordings from Nelson Algren himself: the 1956 original in A Walk on the Wild Side and the 1977 rehash in "What Every Young Man Should Know". 184.108.40.206 12:52, 2 March 2018 (UTC)
- After you've been through all that stuff, the rest of this is just kid's stuff. As Winston Churchill says, when you're going through hell, keep going.
- Any man in Hollywood will meet me if I want that. No, make that any man anywhere.
- Ava Gardner was the most beautiful woman in the world, and it's wonderful that she didn't cut up her face. She addressed aging by picking up her chin and receiving the light in a better way. And she looked like a woman. She never tried to look like a girl.
- Be willing to say yes, no matter who says no, and to say no, regardless of who says yes.
- Carole Lombard, Clark Gable, Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire - that was my idea of what it was supposed to be like. I thought, 'Well, I can do that even if no one else does.' Who cares? I dress up to show that I am happy and grateful to be there. That's what you do where I come from. I don't feel like saying, 'fuck you.' I feel like saying, 'thank you.'
- Celebrity is a pretty stunning thing. At first I was like 'They love me! Oh, I love them, too!' And suddenly, I was tap-dancing on my pedestal and it was WHACK! Facedown in the dirt.
- I bake all the time, but I don't like to eat the cookies when they're done. I just like the dough.
- I believe that if you truly, truly love your children, you need to supply condoms in a place in your home, at a quantity that makes it a non-judgmental situation for them to have them... If they want to make water balloons out of them, great. If they want to carry them so they feel tough, great. If they want to give them to their friends, even better.
- I don't believe make up and the right hairstyle alone can make a woman beautiful. The most radiant woman in the room is the one full of life and experience.
- I dress up to show that I am happy.
- I find I get to torture a higher class of men.
- On the benefits of being famous
- I have this philosophy that money talks and cash screams.
- I know it's a difficult time for you to come out to party during such a time of strife in our world. My feeling is that I hope everyone will be safe and protected and taken care of, and our prayers are with the people around the world who will be affected by this.
- Asked to pay tribute to troops fighting in Iraq
- I like to drive with my knees. Otherwise, how can I put on my lipstick and talk on the phone?
- I thought when I made my first big mistakes in public that that was really going to be the end of me. My parents cried. My friends were desperate.
- I was, like, 40 at birth. When I wasn't even a year old, I spoke, I was potty trained, I walked and talked. That was it. Then I started school and drove everybody crazy because they realized I had popped out as an adult. I had adult questions and wanted adult answers.
- If you act like you know what you're doing, you can do anything you want - except neurosurgery.
- If you don't want my peaches, don't shake my tree.
- If you have a vagina and an attitude in this town, then that's a lethal combination.
- I'm more honest, more true, more vulnerable because I used to think that I was supposed to be fearless. Now I know that its okay to be afraid as long as you show up.
- It was my first movie (Stardust Memories (1980)) and the opportunity of working with Woody Allen. It was a great experience, and I can compare it, in sexual terms, with the lost of virginity.
- It would walk into the room and eat you, or take you for a ride through a fabulous jungle - or it could slap the living daylights out of you, laugh, and leave.
- On fame
- It's my experience that you really can't lose when you try the truth.
- I've had the same breasts for my entire adult life.
- My personal style and public style are very different. When I go out, I play dress up.
- Never play cards with a guy named Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. And never have sex with anybody who has more problems than you do.
- Not in this lifetime. Why? Because I'm the only one she hasn't done it to.
- About letting Madonna kiss her
- Peace does exist. It exists in your heart and soul.
- People don't change their behavior unless it makes a difference for them to do so.
- People get very hung up on whether they gave birth. ... I've come to understand that it's not who 'has' you, but who loves you that shapes you as a person.
- The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men.
- Likely spurious.
- The villain is like a cobra. They watch, they watch, they watch. And then they strike.
- This brilliant, bright, white vortex of light was upon me. And then I was met by some of my friends, people who are very dear to me. But it was over very fast and suddenly I was back in the room and in my own body. It affected me so profoundly that I realized my life would never be the same again. It has definitely given me a new perspective on my career.
- We Barbie dolls are not supposed to behave the way I do.
- Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake whole relationships.