Jump to navigation Jump to search
- As those that pull down private houses adjoining to the temples of the gods, prop up such parts as are contiguous to them; so, in undermining bashfulness, due regard is to be had to adjacent modesty, good-nature and humanity.
- Bashfulness is an ornament to youth, but a reproach to old age.
- Modesty is the graceful, calm virtue of maturity; bashfulness the charm of vivacious youth.
- Women who are the least bashful are not unfrequently the most modest; and we are never more deceived than when we would infer any laxity of principle from that freedom of demeanor which often arises from a total ignorance of vice.
- Shyness has a strange element of narcissism, a belief that how we look, how we perform, is truly important to other people.
- True lovers are shy when people are by.
- 18th Century English proverb