Jump to navigation Jump to search
Shyness (also called diffidence) is the feeling of apprehension, lack of comfort, or awkwardness especially when a person is in proximity to other people. This commonly occurs in new situations or with unfamiliar people.
|This psychology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Narrated 'Aisha: I said, "O Allah's Apostle! A virgin feels shy." He said, "Her consent is (expressed by) her silence."
- He was not handsome, and his manners required intimacy to make them pleasing. He was too diffident to do justice to himself; but when his natural shyness was overcome, his behaviour gave every indication of an open, affectionate heart.
- At the time, I believed that shyness was very important, but now I know that shyness is one of the evils one must try to overcome, that in reality to be shy doesn't matter—it is like so many other things to which one gives an exaggerated importance.
- Jorge Luis Borges, Seven Nights (1980). English translation by Eliot Weinberger
- Shyness is shit. It isn’t cute or feminine or appealing. It’s torment, and it’s shit.
- Octavia Butler, "Positive Obsession", in Bloodchild and Other Stories (1995).
- He's not an asshole, he's just shy. I think you have shy/asshole confusion, my friend.
- The shy man does have some slight revenge upon society for the torture it inflicts upon him. He is able, to a certain extent, to communicate his misery. He frightens other people as much as they frighten him. He acts like a damper upon the whole room, and the most jovial spirits become, in his presence, depressed and nervous.
- Jerome K. Jerome, "On Being Shy", in Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (1886).
- Shyness is just egotism out of its depth.
- Penelope Keith (b. 1939), British actress. Daily Mail (UK) newspaper, 27th June 1988.
- I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
- Shyness is nice, and
Shyness can stop you
From doing all the things in life
You'd like to.