Episode unknown or various episodes
Do any of these actually belong here? Other then a couple of O'Neill's, most are rather... inconsequential. Or am I misunderstanding something? The fact that O'Neill has said "Ya think" isn't, in my eyes, notable. But if I'm incorrect, that's why I'm tossin' this on the Talk page. Because I don't rightly know.
Sontra 01:16, 3 April 2006 (UTC)
Calling for article monitors
Stargate SG-1 has become a very popular article, with quite a few anonymous and short-term contributors, many of whom are not familiar with the admittedly complex guidelines of Wikiquote TV-show quoting. As is always the case with these articles, there is a need to watch this article to fix formatting problems and to ensure that people are adding pithy quotes, not just scene transcriptions, too-visual or too-aural quotes, and quotes with lots of context that render them useless for someone who hasn't watched the show. (Wikiquote TV-show articles must address a general readership, not just fans of the show who enjoy visualizing the scenes when they re-read the quotes.)
I've done this work informally, periodically, but its popular has well-outstripped my ability to keep up. Are there editors watching this article who are willing to do weeding and cleanup? ~ Jeff Q (talk) 10:34, 17 August 2006 (UTC)
As this is now a 200kb+ article, anyone want to split this into series + front page (containing general items - Oz references for starters - and links to all the others) Palfrey 22:23, 15 September 2006 (UTC)
- Done. Not too sure about layout, or the titles for the split off articles (though they have precedent). Also I've left the current season on this page. -- Supermorff 13:27, 21 September 2006 (UTC)
- Oh, and I did a hell of a lot of formatting too. FYI, in case someone feels like reverting it. -- Supermorff 13:28, 21 September 2006 (UTC)
I've made a not-insignificant change to the way this page works now. Rather than simply linking to the pages for each season, I've changed it to transclude each season. In short, this means that while each season has its own page (which can be viewed independently, if you wanted), they'll also appear as part of the main page, which makes it easier to see everything in one place. The only thing is that it's a bit unclear what's going on if you edit the main page, because none of the content is actually here. So, it might make sense to move Season 10 page into this page for now, and then move it to its own page only after the season is done, so that there's no need to worry about people being confused when trying to add an episode. —LrdChaos (talk) 15:19, 14 November 2006 (UTC)
- Wow. That's very clever. Nice one. -- Supermorff 14:52, 15 November 2006 (UTC)
Is there a reason why only funny quotes are included? Out of hundreds of quotes, I don't think I saw more than a dozen or so that weren't jokes. This show isn't a comedy. Would it be suitable to add quotes of the dramatic or plot-revealing moments?18.104.22.168 17:42, 6 March 2007 (UTC)Gor
- There isn't a reason at all. It's just a personal preference when adding the quotes. It just happens to be that people who have edited this page, remembered the funny over the serious. If you want, you can feel free to add serious quotes as well. Curlyro 20:01, 6 March 2007 (UTC)
- Wikiquote's focus is collecting quotes that are generally memorable, not just plot-advancing. Many folks mistakenly use articles to describe plot events through quotes, but that's more appropriate for fan and general informational websites. Many editors do indeed favor the humorous quotes, but dramatic quotes are welcome, too. But try to avoid quotes that require inside knowledge of the show, but are instead memorable for a general audience.
- Also consider that we try to focus on very select quotes that convey the most pithy statements in a work. This is generally true for all works, but even more important for TV shows, which are copyrighted and so must have only a few of the "best" quotes from any episode to attempt to stay within "fair use" legal restrictions. (I use the rule of thumb of 3-5 per episode, with only rare episodes having as many as 8.) We also try to avoid quoting entire scenes. Quotes should be pithy; i.e., short and full of meaning on their own.
Many links of this page goes to Stargate Wikia. Is there a reason not to make them go to Wikipedia (especially the characters)?--Dr Zimbu 13:29, 5 June 2008 (UTC)