- This was mostly taken care of, long ago. Further cleanup is now being done. ~ ♞☤☮♌Kalki·†·⚓⊙☳☶⚡ 17:53, 10 October 2015 (UTC)
- These require citations to adequate sources before being placed into the main article.
- I've been called many things, but never an intellectual.
- If I were well behaved, I'd die of boredom.
- (On seeing a former lover for the first time in years) I thought I told you to wait in the car.
- I Was there in the South of France When Zelda Fitzgerald, poor darling, went off her head. She had gone into a flower shop and suddenly for her all the flowers had faces. Of course, some flowers, such as pansies, do have faces.
- All my life I've been terrible at remembering people's names. I once introduced a friend of mine as Martini. Her name was actually Olive (on why she famously calls people "dahling".
- The only reason I took [that part] was to fuck that divine Gary Cooper! (On why she left the London stage for Hollywood)
- The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after. (In a retort to Dorothy Parker, who had quipped "Has Whistler's Mother left yet?" as a drunk Tallulah was escorted from the party the previous night)
- It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time.
- They used to shoot her through gauze. You should shoot me through linoleum. (Referring to Shirley Temple)
- (On why she called everyone "dahling"): Because all my life I've been terrible at remembering people's names. I once introduced a friend of mine as Martini. Her name was actually Olive.
- Don't think I don't know who's been spreading gossip about me... After all the nice things I've said about that hag (Bette Davis). When I get hold of her, I'll tear out every hair of her mustache!
- Well, I don't know, darling -- he's never sucked my cock. (When asked for her opinion on whether a male celebrity of the time was a homosexual.)
- Say anything about me, dahling, as long as it isn't boring.
- (to Joan Crawford):" Are you wearing a new perfume?"
- (Joan Crawford replies): "It's called Come To Me."
- (Tallulah): " Funny, it doesn't smell like cum to me!"
- Acting is a form of confusion.
Quotes about Bankhead
- The only other actresses whose drawing power is as equally magnetic are Helen Hayes, Katharine Cornell, Lynn Fontanne... and Gertrude Lawrence. But of them all, Tallulah is the only vivid prima dona in the gusty tradition of eccentricity and crazy temperament. Compared with sedate Helen Hayes, sober Miss Cornell, quietly sophisticated Gertrude Lawrence and safely married Ms. Lunt, Tallulah is dangerous, daring, unpredictable, dynamic, whimsical, unconventional and quite utterly mad.
- Ted Shane
- The most immoral woman who ever lived.
- The most immoral woman who ever lived.
- Estelle Winwood is not Tallulah's best friend! I am! And I've got the scars to prove it!
Retaining sourced quotes and variants
I just returned from an excursion a short while ago, and checked in on this page, and realized some notable and sourced quotes and notable variants of some had been removed, and I restored them. I might do a bit more, here, today, off and on, but I remain busy with many other things, so probably won't be here but maybe a few times in a few hours, but will probably source a few more quotes, or do so more thoroughly on a few. Sourced quotes AND variants of them should generally be RETAINED, unless there is clear consensus to remove them for some particular reasons. Normally, if they are sourced to published works, and yet there are credible reasons to consider them highly dubious, they can be moved to a "Disputed" section, with clear REASONS for doing so — and if there are highly credible evidence to regard them as definitely or almost certainly spurious, they can be moved to a "Misattributed" section — they should NOT be entirely removed simply because some editor does not like them, or personally regards them as unlikely, without definite evidence, and it can also OFTEN be important to retain VARIANTS (especially variant PUBLISHED translations of statements), even when they are apparently errors that differ from the actual original sources available, because often such variants are often searched for, and the correct forms are more likely to be found here, when the variants are also included, and any reasons for NOT giving them as much credence as some other forms can be provided. ~ ♞☤☮♌Kalki·†·⚓⊙☳☶⚡ 04:51, 31 January 2016 (UTC) + tweaks