Jump to navigation Jump to search
Three added, by Shaw, Colbert and Long. Mar 19, 2008 DOR 08:18, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
- "I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons."
- "The Eiffel Tower is the Empire State Building after taxes."
–(anonymous, source unknown)
- "People often say death and taxes are the same, but this is wrong. Death is a taxable event, but taxes never die."
–(anonymous, source unknown)
- "Governments last as long as the undertaxed can defend themselves from the overtaxed."
- "The fundamental class division in any society is not between rich and poor, or between farmers and city dwellers, but between tax payers and tax consumers."
- "There is no such thing as a good tax."
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
- "Taxes are the sinews of the state."
–Marcus Tullius Cicero
- "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."
- "For every benefit you receive a tax is levied."
–Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money."
- "Tax is the price we pay for a civilised society."
–Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "The tax which will be paid for the purpose of education is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance."
- "The power to tax involves the power to destroy."
- "Never before have so many been taken for so much and left with so little."
- "Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is quite as satisfying as an income tax refund."
–F. J. Raymond
- "The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much."
"We don't have a trillion dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough. We have a trillion dollar debt because we spend too much."
"History shows that when the taxes of a nation approach about 20% of the people's income, there begins to be a lack of respect for government... When it reaches 25%, there comes an increase in lawlessness."
- "People want just taxes more than they want lower taxes. They want to know that every man is paying his proportionate share according to his wealth."
"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
- "The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has. Even when you make a tax form out on the level, you don't know when it's through if you are a crook or a miser." – Will Rogers
- "The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin."
- "The people are hungry. It is because those in authority eat up too much in taxes."
- "The tax collector must love poor people - he's creating so many of them."
- "The thing generally raised on city land is taxes."
–Charles Dudley Warner
- "Qui vult dare parva non debet magna rogare."
–Latin, unknown author
Translation: "He who wishes to give little shouldn't ask for much."
- "What we should have fought for was representation without taxation."
- "The Government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul."
- "The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest amount of feathers with the least amount of hissing."
- "Tax reform means, ‘Don’t tax you, don’t tax me. Tax that fellow behind the tree.’"
- Senator Russel Long
- “The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling.”
- The only thing that hurts more than paying an income tax is not having to pay an income tax.
- Lord Thomas R. Dewar (1864-1930), Scottish peer, whiskey distiller and aphorist.
- Beware of the taxman — he’ll pinch your wallet!
- Why does a slight tax increase cost you two hundred dollars and a substantial tax cut save you thirty cents?
- Peg Bracken, American author
- The reward of energy, enterprise and thrift—is taxes.
- Capital Punishment: The Income tax.