Tarzan (1999 film)
Tarzan is a 1999 American animated feature film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Feature Animation and distributed by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution on June 18, 1999.
- [Young Tarzan]: I'll be the best ape ever!
- [trying to get the paper back from the Manu the baby baboon] Oh, come on, now. Enough of this. I want this paper on the count of three. One, two... Oh, look! Bananas! [as Manu is distracted, Jane swipes the paper from him and laughs] Oh, I can't believe you fell for that one. [Manu begins to cry] No, no, don't give me those crocodile tears. What would your parents have to say? [notices a troop of baboons looking at her menacingly] [nervously] Oh. You see? I told you they'd be cross. [to the other baboons] Go easy on him. Children will be children. [the baboons start chasing her]
- [when she, Tantor, and other gorillas are at the campsite] What kind of primitive beasts are responsible for this mess?
- [Young Tantor; sees Tarzan in the water] Piranha! It's a piranha!
- [Young Tantor; staring at the water] Are you sure this water's sanitary? [Steps into water, then yanks foot back out] It looks questionable to me!
- [Young Tantor] But what about bacteria?
- [as Terk and Tarzan wrestle] It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye!
- [after hearing Clayton's gunshot] It wasn't me, I swear.
- [Jane imitates the screams of the monkeys] Now that's theropithecus baboonus, she's very good at this.
- [about Jane] She takes after her mother, you know. She came up with stories like that. Not about men in loincloths, of course...
- [about Tarzan] Look at him, Jane. Moves like an ape, but looks like a man. He could be the missing link!
- Oh, those magnificent creatures, shivering in cages... What is this world COMING TO?! [angrily hits the wall; the whole boat tips as Tantor climbs on outside] Oh, by Jove! Don't know my own strength.
- Professor, you are here to find gorillas. Not indulge some girlish fantasy!
- If I can teach a parrot to sing "God Save the Queen", I can certainly teach this savage a thing or two.
- Women! Even if you hadn't grown up a savage, you'd be lost. There are no trails through a woman's heart.
- [as Kerchak is restrained] Aah! I remember you. [taking aim] I think this one would be better off stuffed.
- [pursuing Tarzan into the trees] Hiding, are we?! Good! I could use a challenge, because after I get rid of you, rounding up your little ape family will be all too easy!!
- [Tarzan gets ready to scare Kala behind her back]
- Kala: Don't even think about it.
- Tarzan: How'd you know it was me?
- Kala: I'm your mother. I know everything. Now, where have you been?
- Tarzan: I thought you knew everything.
- [Terk pounces on him]
- Terk: Hey, Auntie K! You look remarkably groomed today!
- Tantor: Y'know, I've been thinking lately that Tarzan might be some subspecies of elephant.
- Terk: What are you, crazy? An elephant?!
- Tantor: Listen to me. Think about it. He enjoys a peanut, I enjoy a peanut.
- Terk: He looks nuthin' like ya!
- Clayton: [clears his throat] Where are the gorillas? [Tarzan plays with his mustache] GO-REE-LUHZ!!!!
- Tarzan: [imitating Clayton] GO-REE-LUHZ!!!!
- Jane: Shouting won't help, Mr. Clayton. He doesn't understand English.
- Clayton: Then I'll make him understand. If I can teach a parrot to sing "God save the Queen", I can certainly teach this savage a thing or two. [draws a crude gorilla on Jane's chalkboard and points to it with the chalk] Gorilla.
- Tarzan: [takes the chalk and examines it] Gor-illa!
- Professor Porter: [excited] Oh! Oh! He's got it!
- Tarzan: Gor-illa! [proceeds to scribble wildly on the chalkboard] Gorrrrr-illllla!
- Professor Porter: Oh, perhaps not...
- Clayton: [grabs chalk] No! No no no no! [Tarzan grabs the chalk back]
- Tarzan: [imitating Clayton] No! No no no no! [they both bicker and fight over the chalk until Jane grabs it]
- Jane: Mr. Clayton, I think I'll take it from here.
- Tarzan: Terk, all you have to do is get Kerchak out of the way.
- Terk: What?!
- Tantor: Well, I'd be happy to get Kerch--
- Terk: [Grabs Tantor's trunk to shut him up] Hey! Shut your trunk, and get me outta here! [Tantor does so] Can you believe that guy? Drops us like a newborn giraffe - kerplop! - now waltzes in here and expects us to just-- [Tarzan lands in front of her]
- Tarzan: Terk, I'm asking you as a friend.
- Terk: [Grimacing at Tarzan's pleading face] Argh... Aah... with the face and the eyes and the... AH! All right! But don't make me do anything embarrassing. [Cut to Terk bursting out of the bushes in Jane's dress] I'M GONNA KILL HIM!!!!
- Tantor: [with his trunk disguised has Professor Porter] Actually, I thought that dress was rather slimming on you.
- Terk: Oh, really? I thought it was a little revealing...
- [they both hear Kerchak's roar and run]
- Clayton: Sorry for the rude welcome, old boy, but I couldn't have you making a scene when we put your furry friends in their cages!
- Tarzan: Why?
- Clayton: Why? For £300 sterling a head. Actually, I have you to thank, old boy. Couldn't have done it without you.
- Tantor: I've never felt so alive!
- Terk: Good! 'Cause I'm gonna kill ya!
- [Kerchak is on the verge of death]
- Tarzan: Kerchak, forgive me.
- Kerchak: No. Forgive me, for not understanding... that you have always been one of us. Our family will look to you now.
- Tarzan: No. Kerchak!
- Kerchak: Take care of them... my son. Take care of them. [dies]
About Tarzan (1999 film)
- I was concerned at first...because in California was the animator doing Jane and the gorillas, and in Paris we were doing Tarzan and the leopard. But what I found out was that we almost had a more personal relationship with them because we had them to ourselves in the CLI meetings (and) we had control of the camera and could zoom in on faces as they made faces, watching reactions to video to really see their spontaneous reactions.
- When Tarzan approaches Jane and he kind of looks up her skirt and BOOM, gets kicked in the face, that part where he gets kicked in the face, well, the animator in California is doing the foot hitting the face and he doesn't know exactly where that face is going to be.
- It was definitely a challenge. (For instance), Tarzan moving through the branches. I'd animated this scene and it didn't feel like Tarzan doing it. If felt like a human, like me hanging on vines and branches. So I studied the gibbon and realized they never look at the branches when the grab them. They look past. They look where they're going. And then we changed Tarzan so instead of looking at the vines and branches, he just moved right on through confidently, and it felt like Tarzan again. The instinct of an animal had to be there.
- Well, from the beginning we always said we weren't going to do this Deep Canvas unless it looked exactly like a background painting. If it were ever noticeable (that they were using computers), we'd have abandon it. (But once we were committed) the first thing you do is build the jungle in 3D and figure out how your camera is going to move to follow the characters. �
- Tony Goldwyn - Tarzan (voice)
- Minnie Driver - Jane Porter (voice)
- Glenn Close - Kala (voice)
- Rosie O'Donnell - Terk (voice)
- Brian Blessed - John Clayton (voice)
- Lance Henriksen - Kerchak (voice)
- Wayne Knight - Tantor (voice)
- Nigel Hawthorne - Archimedes Q. Porter (voice)
- Alex D. Linz - Young Tarzan (voice)