The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The sea's master beast of the ages- raging up from the bottom of time (taglines)
- Opening Narrator: This is Operation Experiment, a secret base far north of the Arctic Circle. Experiment was the codename for a top priority scientific expedition. These men arrived here on X-day minus 60. It has taken them the full two months to get ready. Today is X-day.
- Cpl. Stone: If you can load it, I can fire it.
- Prof. Thurgood Elson: I feel like I'm leaving a world of untold tomorrows for a world of countless yesterdays.
- George Ritchie: [referring to the A-bomb test] You know every time one of those things goes off, I feel as if I was helping to write the first chapter of a new Genesis.
- Professor Tom Nesbitt: Let's hope we don't find ourselves writing the last chapter of the old one.
- Cpl. Stone: Colonel says you need a dead shot, mister.
- Professor Tom Nesbitt: Yes. Ever use a grenade rifle?
- Cpl. Stone: Pick my teeth with it.
- It's alive!
- You'll see it tear a city apart!
- FANTASTIC SEA-GIANT CRUSHES CITY!
- Prehistoric sea-giant rages against city!
- They couldn't believe their eyes! They couldn't escape the terror! And neither will you!
- Cast of thousands! Over a year in the making!
- The seas master beast of the ages- raging up from the bottom of time
- A Thrill-Story Beyond All Imagining !
Quotes about The Beast
- For some reason the creation was called a rhedosaurus, and although I can't remember where this name came from, I suspect Hal Chester or one of the writers coined it. Over the years, people have suggested that the first two letters relate to the initials of a certain animator. I have no comment.
- Ray Harryhausen (2003), An Animated Life, Aurum Press, p. 49
- The task of instilling pathos into a creature that was, after all, an innocent victim of circumstances was something I had set myself from the outset, although I was restrained by the script... The Beast is a poor lost soul brought back to life by man and then destroyed by man. If it sounds familiar, it is. King Kong was a huge influence, as he would be in all the other creatures I would be father to.
- Ray Harryhausen (2003), An Animated Life, Aurum Press, p. 57
- Paul Hubschmid — Professor Tom Nesbitt
- Paula Raymond — Lee Hunter
- Cecil Kellaway — Dr. Thurgood Elson
- Kenneth Tobey — Colonel Jack Evans
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|