The Emoji Movie
The Emoji Movie is a 2017 American 3D computer-animated comedy film directed by Tony Leondis and written by Leondis, Eric Siegel and Mike White, based on the emoji symbols. It premiered on July 23, 2017 at the Regency Village Theatre, and was theatrically released in the United States and Canada on July 28, 2017 by Columbia Pictures. The film has grossed $27 million, with critics calling it "unfunny and a waste of time", and compared it unfavorably to The Lego Movie, Inside Out and Wreck-It Ralph.
- Welcome to the world inside your phone where everyone is expected to act one way their whole life.
- Where am I?
- I’m an emoji, I’ve got to have some sort of purpose here.
- [to Mel Meh] Dad, I'll make the right face, then I'll finally fit in!
- [to Smiler] I’m not going to run away from this. I made a mistake, but I’m going to fix it.
- My feelings are huge. Maybe I’m meant to have more, than just one emotion.
- Everybody can dance.
- Whoa! How are you doing that?
- I’m going to help you. We need to get off the phone and find the source code.
- We’re going to have to dance our way out.
- [to Gene] I think you’re pretty cool just the way you are.
- Follow me, There's a place in here no one ever goes.
- Oh, shut up.
- Welcome to the loser lounge where the emojis who never get used hang out.
- Bye Felicia, Ciao Fishcake-with-a-swirl! Daddy's headed back to the VIPS where he belongs.
- I’ve got an idea!
- [after eating candy] Oh, I’m never eating another piece of candy ever again. [he suddenly throws up one corn candy] [Gene: Hi-5, don’t do it. Don’t you do it, it’s already been in there once.] [Hi-5 shoves the corn candy he just threw up back in his mouth]
- Ice Cream: [to Cookie] So I told management, “I can’t work like this. These lights! I’m melting in here!” This is such a load of…
- [Ice Cream looks over to the poo emoji, who’s in the nearby cell]
- Ice Cream: Uuuhhh…
- Poop: No, go ahead. Finish that sentence.
- Alex: Look who just sent me a text.
- Alex’s Friend: Addy McAlister?
- Alex: What should I say?
- Alex’s Friend: Just play it cool.
- [he pulls out his phone to text]
- Mel Meh: What if you get sent out on the phone making the wrong face?
- Gene: Dad, I’ll make the right face, and then I would finally fit in. Mehhhhh...
- Mary Meh: Sweetie, you're so handsome when you make that face. I think he's ready, Mel.
- Mel Meh: Meh.
- Akiko Glitter: Welcome to Just Dance!
- Jailbreak: We're gonna have to dance our way out. I got no groove.
- Gene: Everybody can dance.
- Jailbreak: [Dances stiffly] See?
- Gene: Okay, stop. Stop.
- Hi-5: She has to stop.
- Gene: I see now what you are saying, just follow her moves.
- Hi-5: I guess someone likes you.
- Gene: What are you talking about?
- Hi-5: Well, she gave me just one peace sign. She gave me just one finger, and I knew she was in love with me.
- Jailbreak: Let's go!
- Hi-5: [stomach starts rumbling] Ugh, I've never eaten another piece of candy ever again. [Pukes the candy corn out of his mouth]
- Gene: Hi-5, don't do it. Don't you do it, it's already been in there once. [Hi-5 eats candy corn] Wow.
- Gene: [while being stuck in Candy Crush] JAILBREAK! Help me!
- Jailbreak: We've got your back. Right, Hi-5? [notices Hi-5 eating candy]
- Hi-5: [after getting hit by a gumdrop] Ow!
- Jailbreak: You wanna focus?
- Not Easy Being Meh (Gene)
- Gimme (Hi-5)
- Devilicious (Steven)
- Crazy Happy (Smiler)
- Welcome to the secret world inside your phone.
- An adventure beyond words.
- T. J. Miller as Gene, an outsider "meh" emoji who can show multiple expressions.
- James Corden as Hi-5, a hand emoji.
- Anna Faris as Jailbreak/Linda, a codebreaker/princess emoji.
- Maya Rudolph as Smiler, a smiley emoji and leader of the text center.
- Steven Wright as Mel Meh, Gene's emoji father.
- Jennifer Coolidge as Mary Meh, Gene's emoji mother.
- Patrick Stewart as Poop, a poop emoji.
- Christina Aguilera as Akiko Glitter, a "super cool" dancer that lives inside the Just Dance app.
- Sofía Vergara as Flamenca, a flamenco dancer emoji.
- Sean Hayes as Steven, a devil emoji.
- Rachael Ray as Spam, a spam message.
- Jeff Ross as an Internet troll.
- Jake T. Austin as Alex, a human teenager who owns the phone where Gene and his emoji friends live.
- Tati Gabrielle as Addie, Alex's crush.
- Rob Riggle as an ice cream emoji (uncredited).