The Flying Mouse
"w:The Flying Mouse" is a 1934 w: Silly Symphonies cartoon produced by Walt Disney, directed by w: David Hand (animator), and released to theatres by w: United Artists on July 14, 1934. The butterfly fairy who appears here may have even inspired the Blue Fairy of "Pinocchio" (1940 film) six years later. The use of color here was rather innovative as it is set during the course of a single day.
- "Boy Mouse": Poor butterfly. oh. "petted the butterfly but it transformed into a female blue fairy"
- "Blue Fairy": Brave little mouse. You've been kind to me. I'll grant one wish. What shall it be?
- "Boy Mouse": I wanted to fly. "flapped his arms to show that he wanted to fly"
- "Blue Fairy": Oh a mouse was never meant to fly. Think carefully beware.
- "Boy Mouse": Please I wanted to fly like the birds.
- "Blue Fairy": Well if wings are what you wish, then you shall have a pair.
- "The Blue Fairy tapped her wand on the boy mouse and bat wings appear on his back. He tried out his bat wings and flew, but ran back to kiss the blue fairy's hand and then she disappeared"
- "Bat": Hello there, brother. Ha ha ha ha ha!
- "Boy Mouse": I'm not your brother I'm a mouse.
- "Bat": A mouse. Ha ha ha ha ha! No mouse can fly so you got wings. So if you ain't a bat. Ha ha ha. You're nothing think of that.
- The bat pulled on his wing, pointed his finger at the mouse and the other three bats dropped down"
- "Other Bats": A mouse ha ha! A mouse ha ha. A mouse ha ha ha ha ha!
- "Then the four bats danced around the boy mouse"
- "Other Bats": "♪ You're nothing but a nothing. ♪"
- "♪ A nothing, a nothing. ♪"
- "♪ You're nothing but a nothing. ♪"
- "♪ You're not a thing at all. ♪"
- "Bat": "♪ You're nothing but a nothing. ♪"
- "♪ A nothing, a nothing. ♪" "laughed"
- "The boy mouse flew out of the cave and looked at his reflection in the pond and saw his image turning into a laughing bat and he ran and tried to rip his wings off but it doesn't come off. He then began to cry. Then the blue fairy showed up"
- "Blue Fairy": Why are you crying little mouse? Don't you like to fly?
- "Boy Mouse": "crying" I'm not a mouse! I'm a nothing Sniff! I wish that I could die!
- "Blue Fairy": Come come my little friend. Cheer up. You learned your lesson part in you. Do your best, be yourself and light will smile upon you.
- "Then the blue fairy tapped her wand on the mouse's bat wings and they disappeared. Then the boy mouse ran and kissed her hand and she disappeared. Then the boy mouse ran home to his mice family"
- Boy Mouse": Oh mom! Mom! Mom! Mom!
- "Then the boy mouse jumped in his mouse mother's arms and kissed her face. Then the three boy mice danced around him"
- Clarence Nash as Bat. (uncredited)