The Greatest Story Ever Told
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The George Stevens Production (taglines)
- Do not weep for me; weep for yourselves, and for your children. For a time is coming when men will say "blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore a child." And they will say to the mountains "fall on us," and to the hills "cover us," for if these things are done when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?
- Go now, and teach all nations. Make it your first care to love one another and to find the kingdom of God, and all things shall be yours without me asking. Do not fret then for tomorrow; leave tomorrow to fret over its own needs, for today... today's troubles are enough. And lo, I am with you always, even onto the end of the world...
- Narrator: In the beginning was the word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. I am He. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him, was made nothing that has been made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of man. And the light shines on in the darkness, and the darkness grasped it not. The greatest story ever told...
- King Herod: The child of imagination is the child I fear.
- Caiaphas: Jesus of Nazareth, your crimes are so many I scarcely know where to begin.
- The Dark Hermit - Satan: A long climb, wasn't it? A long hard climb... You know, some people think the whole of life should be like that, hm... "An easy life is a sinful life". Not so, my friend... A man's life can be as easy as he wishes to make it. And it can be easy, my friend. If one knows the way to power and glory in this world.
- Herod the Great: I am an Idumean. Not a Judian. The priests here Judea mock me in their temple. The temple which I built. They accuse me of impiety. Tell them, Antipas.
- Herod Antipas: The priests are envious of my father. He knows the prophets better than they and has more faith in them.
- Soldier: I have orders to bring you to Herod, Baptist.
- John the Baptist: I have orders to bring you to God... heathen.
- John the Baptist: Are you going to free me?
- Herod Antipas: I am going to kill you.
- John the Baptist: Then you free me!
- Herod Antipas: I hope so.
- Bar Amand: The Messiah has come! A man was dead but now he lives!
- Uriah: I was crippled, and now I walk!
- Old Aram: I was blind, and now I see!
- Soldier: Who has done this?
- Old Aram: The man called Jesus!
- Exclusive Limited Engagement!
- The George Stevens Production
- Max von Sydow — Jesus
- Dorothy McGuire — the Virgin Mary
- Charlton Heston — John the Baptist
- Claude Rains — Herod the Great
- Jose Ferrer — Herod Antipas
- Telly Savalas — Pontius Pilate
- Martin Landau — Caiaphas
- David McCallum — Judas Iscariot
- Donald Pleasence — "The Dark Hermit" (Satan)
- Michael Anderson, Jr. as James the Just
- Roddy McDowall as Matthew
- Joanna Dunham as Mary Magdalene
- Joseph Schildkraut as Nicodemus
- Ed Wynn as "Old Aram"
- The Greatest Story Ever Told quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- The Greatest Story Ever Told at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Greatest Story Ever Told at Allmovie
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|