The Help (film)
The Help is a 2011 comedy-drama film about an aspiring author during the civil rights movement of the 1960's who decides to write a book detailing the African-American maids' points of view on the white families for which they work, and the hardships they go through on a daily basis.
- [to Eugenia] Mrs. Leefolt should not be having babies. Write that down.
- [repeated line, to Mae Mobley] You is kind. You is smart. You is important.
- [to Eugenia] Love and hate are two horns on the same goat, Eugenia. And you need a goat.
- [to Eugenia] Your eggs are dying. Would it kill you to go on a date?
- [to Eugenia] Courage sometimes skips a generation. Thank you for bringing it back to our family.
- [to Eugenia] Every day you're not dead in the ground, when you wake up in the morning, you're gonna have to make some decisions. Got to ask yourself this question: "Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today?" You hear me today? "Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today? You hear me today?" All right? As for your mama, she didn't pick her life. It picked her. But you, you're gonna do something big with yours. You wait and see.
Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan
- [to Stuart] I'm sorry, but were you dropped on your head as an infant, or were you just born stupid?
- [hysterical] I specifically said, "Drop old coats at my house," not commodes!!!
- If you can love your enemy, you already have a victory.
- [to Eugenia] Isn't that what all you girls from Ole Miss major in - professional husband hunting?
- Frying chicken just tend to make you feel better about life.
- [to Eugenia] You ain't got nothing left here but enemies in the Junior League. You done burned every bridge there is. And you ain't never gonna get another man in this town, everybody know that. So don't walk your white butt to New York, run it!
- I may have trouble remembering my own name, or what country I live in, but there are two things I can't seem to forget: that my own daughter threw me into a nursing home, and that she ate Minny's shit.
- [when Hilly realizes what was in Minny's pie and runs off, gagging] And you didn't have just ONE, you had TWO slices!!! [begins laughing hysterically, as Minny flees] RUN, MINNY, RUN!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
- Aibileen Clark: I was born 1911, Chicksaw County, Piedmont Plantation.
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: And did you know as a girl growing up that one day you'd be a maid?
- Aibileen Clark: Yes ma'am, I did.
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: And you knew that because...
- Aibileen Clark: My mama was a maid. My grandmama was a house slave.
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: [whispering as she writes down] "house slave..." Did you ever dream of being something else?
- [Aibileen Clark nods yes]
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: What does it feel like to raise a white child when your own child's at home being looked after by somebody else?
- Hilly Holbrook: They carry different diseases than we do. That's why I've drafted the Home Health Sanitation Initiative.
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: The what?
- Hilly Holbrook: A disease-preventative bill that requires every white home to have a separate bathroom for the colored help. It's been endorsed by the White Citizen's Council.
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: Maybe we should just build you a bathroom outside, Hilly.
- Hilly Holbrook: You ought not to joke about the colored situation. I will do whatever it takes to protect our children.
- Celia Foote: They don't like me because of what they think I did.
- Minny Jackson: They don't like you because they think you white trash.
- Minny Jackson: Eat my shit.
- Hilly Holbrook: What'd you say?
- Minny Jackson: I said eat... my... shit.
- Hilly Holbrook: Have you lost your mind?
- Minny Jackson: No, ma'am. But you is about to. 'Cause you just did.
- Stuart Whitworth: I've never met a woman that says exactly what she's thinking.
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: Well, I got plenty to say.
- Hilly Holbrook: [confronting Skeeter at her house about the book] I've contacted my lawyer, Hibbie Goodman! He's the best libel attorney in the state. Oh missy, you are goin' to jail!
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: You can't prove anything.
- Hilly Holbrook: Oh I 100% know you wrote it, 'cause nobody else in town is as tacky as you!
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: You don't know anything, Hilly!
- Hilly Holbrook: [shoving Skeeter] Oh, I DON'T, do I?! You tell Aibileen that the next time she wants to write about my dear friend Elizabeth - uh huh, remember her, had you in her wedding? - let's just say, Aibileen ought to have been a little bit smarter before puttin' in about that L-shaped scratch in poor Elizabeth's dining table. And that nigger Minny... do I have plans for her.
- Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan: [calmly] Careful Hilly, that's Chapter Twelve. Don't give yourself away now.
- Hilly Holbrook: That was NOT ME!!! [storms over to the front door] I've come to tell your mother what a hippie you've become! She's going to be disgusted by you---
- Charlotte Phelan: [opens door before Hilly] Why, Hilly! Is everything okay, you two?
- Hilly Holbrook: Mrs. Phelan...
- Charlotte Phelan: Hilly, you're a sweaty mess. Are you ill?
- Hilly Holbrook: No, ma'am...
- Charlotte Phelan: [referring to the cold sore on Hilly's face] Darlin', oh, no husband wants to come home and see that.
- Hilly Holbrook: Oh... I didn't have time to get it fixed up.
- Charlotte Phelan: You know, Hilly, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you've been eating too much pie.
- Hilly Holbrook: Mrs. Phelan, I...
- Charlotte Phelan: In fact, I'm sure of it. Now you get your raggedy ass off my porch. Go on. Get off my property! NOW! Before we all get one of those disgusting things on our lips!
- [Hilly, stunned, obeys and drives off]
- Aibileen Clark: In just ten minutes, the only life I knew was done.
- Mae Mobley: [calling after her through the window] A-a-a-aibee!
- Aibileen Clark: God says we need to love our enemies. It hard to do. But it can start by telling the truth. No one had ever asked me what it feel like to be me. Once I told the truth about that, I felt free. And I got to thinking about all the people I know. And the things I seen and done. My boy Treelore always said we gonna have a writer in the family one day. I guess it's gonna be me.
- Emma Stone as Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan
- Lila Rogers as Young Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan
- Viola Davis as Aibileen Clark
- Bryce Dallas Howard as Hilly Holbrook
- Octavia Spencer as Minny Jackson
- Jessica Chastain as Celia Foote
- Ahna O'Reilly as Elizabeth Leefolt
- Allison Janney as Charlotte Phelan
- Anna Camp as Jolene French
- Chris Lowell as Stuart Whitworth
- Cicely Tyson as Constantine Bates
- Emma/Eleanor Henry as Mae Mobley Leefolt
- Mike Vogel as Johnny Foote
- Sissy Spacek as Mrs. Walters
- Brian Kerwin as Robert Phelan
- Aunjanue Ellis as Yule May Davis
- Joshua A. Downes as Mr. Blackly
- Mary Steenburgen as Elaine Stein
- Nelsan Ellis as Henry
- David Oyelowo as Preacher Green
- Dana Ivey as Grace Higginbotham
- Ashley Johnson as Mary Beth Cadwell