The Last of the Mohicans (1992 film)
- Directed by Michael Mann. Written by Michael Mann and Christopher Crowe, based on the novel by James Fenimore Cooper.
- Great Spirit, Maker of All Life. A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome him and let him take his place at the council fire of my people. He is Uncas, my son. Tell them to be patient and ask death for speed; for they are all there but one — I, Chingachgook — Last of the Mohicans.
- Death and honor are thought to be the same, but today I have learned that sometimes they are not.
- When the Grey Hair is dead, Magua will eat his heart. Before he dies, Magua will put his children under the knife, so the Grey Hair will know his seed is wiped out forever.
- Gen. Webb: Kindly inform Major Heyward that he has little to fear from this General Marquis de Montcalm in the first place; and scant need of a colonial militia in the second because the French haven't the nature for war. Their Gallic laziness combines with their Latinate voluptuousness with the result that they would rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.
- British Soldier: You call yourself a patriot, and loyal subject to the Crown?
- Hawkeye: I do not call myself subject to much at all.
- Maj. Heyward: You there, Scout! We must rest soon, the women are tired.
- Magua: No, two leagues, better water. We stop there.
- Maj. Heyward: No, we'll stop in the glade just ahead. When the ladies are rested, we will proceed. Do you understand?
- Magua: [speaking Huron] Magua understands that the white man is a dog to his women. When they are tired, he puts down his tomahawk to feed their laziness.
- Maj. Heyward: Excuse me, what did you say?
- Magua: Magua said... I understand English, very well.
- Maj. Heyward: There is a war on. How is it you are heading west?
- Hawkeye: Well, we face to the north and, real subtle-like, turn left.
- Cora Munro: Why were those people living in this defenseless place?
- Hawkeye: After seven years indentured service in Virginia, they headed out here 'cause the frontier's the only land available to poor people. Out here, they're beholden to none. Not living by another's leave.
- Colonel Munro: Montcalm is a soldier and a gentleman, not a butcher.
- Hawkeye: Easy for you to suppose, it's their women and children on the farms, not yours!
- Colonel Munro: You forget yourself, sir.
- Jack Winthrop: We're not forgetting Webb's promise.
- Colonel Munro: British promises are honored. And the militia will not be released, because I need more definite proof than this man's word.
- Jack Winthrop: Nathaniel's word's been good on the frontier a long time before you got here.
- Colonel Munro: This meeting is over, the militia stays.
- Jack Winthrop: Does the rule of English law no longer govern? Has it been replaced by absolutism?
- Hawkeye: If English law cannot be trusted maybe these people would do better making their own peace with the French.
- Maj. Heyward: That is sedition!
- Hawkeye: That is the truth.
- Maj. Heyward: I'll have you beaten from this fort!
- Hawkeye: Someday, I think you and I are going to have a serious disagreement.
- Jack Winthrop: You're not coming with us?
- Hawkeye: I've got a reason to stay.
- Jack Winthrop: That reason wear a striped skirt and work in the surgery?
- Hawkeye: It does. No offense, but it's a better looking reason than you, Jack Winthrop.
- Cora Munro: [about Hawkeye] He saved us. We're alive only because of him.
- Colonel Munro: The man encouraged the colonials to desert in this very room and in my presence! Sir! He is guilty of sedition. He must be tried and hanged like any other criminal, regardless of what he did for my children.
- Cora Munro: But he knew the consequences, and he stayed. Are those the actions of a criminal?
- Maj. Heyward: And who empowered these colonials to pass judgment on England's policies, and to come and go without so much as a "by your leave"?
- Cora Munro: They do not live their lives "by your leave"! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!
- Maj. Heyward: You are defending him because you've become infatuated with him!
- Cora Munro: Duncan, you are a man with a few admirable qualities, but taken as a whole, I was wrong to have thought so highly of you.
- Cora Munro: Justice? If that's justice than the sooner French guns blow the English out of America the better it will be for the people here!
- Colonel Munro: You do not know what you're saying, girl!
- Cora Munro: Yes I do, I know exactly what what I'm saying, and if it is sedition, than I am guilty of sedition too!
- Cora Munro: They're going to hang you. Why didn't you leave when you had the chance?
- Hawkeye: Because what I'm interested in is right here.
- Cora Munro: Go ahead.
- Maj. Heyward: What the bloody hell plan is this?
- Cora Munro: I want you to go.
- Hawkeye: If we go, there's a chance there won't be a fight. There's no powder. If we don't go in that, there's no chance. None. Do you understand?
- Maj. Heyward: Coward!
- Cora Munro: You've done everything you can do. Save yourself. If the worst happens, and only one of us survives, something of the other does too.
- Hawkeye: No. You stay alive. If they don't kill you, they'll take you north, up to Huron land. Submit, do you hear? You're strong, you survive. You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you!
- [From the Director's Expanded Edition]
- Chingachgook: The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.
- Hawkeye: That is my father's sadness talking.
- Chingachgook: No, it is true. The frontier place is for people like my white son and his woman and their children. And one day there will be no more frontier. And men like you will go too, like the Mohicans. And new people will come, work, struggle. Some will make their life. But once, we were here.
- Daniel Day-Lewis - Hawkeye (Nathaniel Poe)
- Madeleine Stowe - Cora Munro
- Russell Means - Chingachgook
- Eric Schweig - Uncas
- Jodhi May - Alice Munro
- Steven Waddington - Maj. Duncan Heyward
- Wes Studi - Magua
- Maurice Roëves - Col. Munro
- Patrice Chéreau - Gen. Montcalm
- Edward Blatchford - Jack Winthrop
- Pete Postlethwaite - Capt. Beams
- Colm Meaney - Maj. Ambrose
- Mac Andrews - Gen. Webb