The Matrix Revolutions
The Matrix Revolutions is the third and last film in The Matrix trilogy (see below). The film, a combination of philosophy and action like its predecessors, sought to conclude the questions raised in the previous film, The Matrix Reloaded. The film was written and directed by the The Wachowskis. It was released simultaneously in sixty countries on November 5, 2003.
- [to the Deus Ex Machina] The program "Smith" has grown beyond your control. Soon he will spread through this city, as he spread through The Matrix. You cannot stop him. But I can.
- It ends tonight.
- I won't. [assuming he won't fail defeating Smith]
- [last words] You were right, Smith. You were always right. It was inevitable.
- He fights for us. [referring to Neo's final battle for the salvation of Zion]
- I don't have time for this shit.
- Shoot, shoot now, if you don't, he'll kill us both.
- [last words] I wish I hadn't. That was my last thought. I wished I had one more chance to say what really mattered; to say how much I loved you, how grateful I was for every moment I was with you. But by the time I said what I wanted to, it was too late. But you brought me back. You gave me my wish. One more chance to say what I really wanted to say... Kiss me, once more. Kiss me.
- I can't help you, no one can help you.
- Down here, I'm God.
- If we have to give these bastards our lives, WE GIVE THEM HELL BEFORE WE DO!
- [As he readies his aim at the target] Knuckle Up!
- [As he prepares to fire at the incoming Machines] FOR ZION!!!
- [to Kid] They're coming... they're coming The Hammer. You have to open that gate, cut the counter-weights. You can do it. Hurry, there's no time.
- [to Kid] Neither did I...
- Captain, I didn't finish the training program.
- Keep the weight forward!
- Neo, I believe…
- [to Neo] Yes, that's it, Mr. Anderson. Look past the flesh. Look through the soft gelatin of these dull cow eyes and see your enemy.
- Not impossible, inevitable.
- I wish you could see yourself, Mr. Anderson. Blind Messiah, helpless. Pathetic.
- Everything that has a beginning has an end. I see the end coming. I see the darkness spreading. I see death…and you are all that stands in his way.
- One way or another, Neo, this war is going to end. Tonight, the future of both worlds will be in your hands… or in his.
- Mr. Anderson. I see you are as predictable in this world as you are in the other.
- Can you feel it, Mr. Anderson, closing in on you? Oh, I can. I really should thank you, after all it was your life that taught me the purpose of all life. The purpose of life is to end.
- Wait. I've seen this. This is it. This is the end. Yes. You were laying right there, just like that. And I. . . I... I stand here, right here, and I'm supposed to say something. I say, "Everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo."
- This is my world, MY WORLD!!!
- [realizing his fate] Oh, no, no, no. It's not fair! [explodes along with all of his clones]
Deus Ex Machina
- We don't need you! WE NEED NOTHING!
- What do you want?
- And if you fail?
- It is done.
- Neo: You believe in karma?
- Rama-Kandra: Karma's a word. Like "love." A way of saying "what I am here to do." I do not resent my karma—I'm grateful for it. Grateful for my wonderful wife, for my beautiful daughter. They are gifts. And so I do what I must do to honor them.
- Neo: I just have never...
- Rama-Kandra: ...heard a program speak of love?
- Neo: It's a…human emotion.
- Rama-Kandra: No, it is a word. What matters is the connection the word implies. I see that you are in love. Can you tell me what you would give to hold on to that connection?
- Neo: Anything.
- Rama-Kandra: Then perhaps the reason you're here is not so different from the reason I'm here.
- Merovingian: What in the hell... [laughs] I don't believe this. Hey. Hey! [music cuts off] The prodigal child returns, l'ange sans ses ailes; are you here for the bounty, Seraph? [laughs] Tell me, how many bullets are there in those guns? I don't know, but I don't think you have enough.
- Seraph: We only want to talk.
- Merovingian: Oh yes, I'm sure you do. You have fought through hell to do so. Yes? I'll tell you what I will do. Put down the guns and I will promise you safe passage out of here.
- Seraph: All three of us.
- Merovingian: Oh yes, yes! Of course. [the three are escorted up to the Merovingian] Quelle bonne surprise, n'est-ce pas? Who could have guessed we would be seeing each other so soon after our last meeting. The fates are too kind. And since you, my little Judas, have brought them here, I can only surmise the fortune-teller has found herself another shell? Disappointing. But not unexpected. I do hope however that she has the good manners to learn her lesson, and to remember that there is no action without consequence, and if you take something from me you will pay the price.
- Seraph: You know why we are here.
- Merovingian: [chuckles] Come now, what kind of question is this? Of course I know, it is my business to know. And some may think this is a strange coincidence, but I do not. I am curious, though, as to how it actually happened…do you know?
- Trinity: No.
- Merovingian: No? I did not think so. But it is always best to ask.
- Morpheus: We want to make a deal.
- Merovingian: [chuckles] Always straight to business, eh Morpheus? Okay. So, I have something you want. To make a deal, you must have something I want, yes? And it so happens there is something I want…something I have wanted ever since I first came here. It is said they cannot be taken, they can only be given.
- Morpheus: What?
- Merovingian: The eyes of the Oracle. [laughs] I have told you before, there is no escaping the nature of the universe. It is that nature that has again brought you to me. Where some see coincidence, I see consequence. Where others see chance, I see cost. Bring me the eyes of the Oracle, and I will give you back your savior. That seems a perfectly fair and reasonable deal to me. Yes? No?
- Trinity: ...I don't have time for this shit. [Draws her gun out and points it to Merovingian. All guns point to Trinity.] You wanna make a deal? How about this? You give me Neo, or we all die, right here, right now.
- Merovingian: [unfazed] Interesting deal. You are really ready to die for this man?
- Trinity: Believe it.
- Persephone: She'll do it. If she has to, she'll kill every one of us. She's in love.
- Merovingian: It is remarkable how similar the pattern of love is to the pattern of insanity.
- Trinity: Time's up. What's it gonna be, Merv?
- Oracle: What did you do with Sati?
- Smith: Cookies need love like everything does. [laughs]
- Oracle: You are a bastard.
- Smith: You would know, Mom.
- Smith: Mr. Anderson, welcome back. We missed you. [pauses; looks around] You like what I've done with the place?
- Neo: It ends tonight.
- Smith: I know it does, I've seen it. That's why the rest of me is just going to enjoy the show because we already know that I'm the one that beats you.
- Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson? Why, why, why? Why do you do it? Why? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? [becomes visibly agitated] Is it freedom or truth?! Perhaps peace?! Could it be for love?! Illusions, Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception! Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose! And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love! You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson! You must know it by now! You can't win! It's pointless to keep fighting! [now clearly enraged] Why, Mr. Anderson?! Why?! WHY DO YOU PERSIST?!
- Neo: [manages to stand] Because I choose to.
- [the Architect and the Oracle meet in a park]
- Oracle: Well, now, ain't this a surprise?
- Architect: You played a very dangerous game.
- Oracle: Change always is.
- Architect: Just how long do you think this peace is going to last?
- Oracle: As long as it can. [the Architect starts to walk off] What about the others?
- Architect: [stops] What others?
- Oracle: The ones that want out.
- Architect: Obviously they will be freed.
- Oracle: I have your word?
- Architect: [contemptuously] What do you think I am? Human?
- Keanu Reeves - Neo
- Laurence Fishburne - Morpheus
- Carrie-Anne Moss - Trinity
- Hugo Weaving - Agent Smith
- Mary Alice - The Oracle
- Helmut Bakaitis - The Architect
- Lambert Wilson - The Merovingian