The Song of Bernadette (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Song of Bernadette is a 1943 film about Bernadette Soubirous (later canonized Saint Bernadette) who, from February to July 1858 in Lourdes, France, reported eighteen visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Here is greatness...wonder...and majesty...no human words can describe!
- Bernadatte sometimes to express certain things in a letter is difficult, so, wherever may you go, if ever you need me, just send me this. [hands her a holy card] I shall understand and come immediately.
- [to Bernadette] Wake up! Now! Else life is at an end for you. You are playing with fire, Bernadette.
- I asked her 'Do you know what a sinner is?' And she answered, 'Certainly, Monsieur. A sinner is one who loves evil'. That's quite a good answer. What pleased me is that she said 'loves', and not 'does'.
- There was something about her that precluded laughter. Her exaltation was so genuine that the observer almost had the impression that he saw what the child saw.
- Aunt Bernarde Casterot: She sees this lady. No one else does. Who are you to say that she is wrong and you are right? She may well be a heavenly creature... You will go with her! All the women of the family must stand by her side. I'll come. And when I walk with her... let anyone dare to laugh!
- Empress Eugenie: You're an atheist, Louis!
- Emperor Louis Napoleon III: That's the most stupid thing a sovereign could be.
- Bishop of Tarbes: The Commission can render only one of three decisions. First: "You're an impostor, little Soubirous. Away with you to a home of juvenile delinquents". Second: "You're a madwoman, little Soubirous. Away with you to an asylum". Third...
- Peyramale: "You are the rarest of mortal beings, little Soubirous".
- Mother Superior: Well, Doctor?
- Dr. St. Cyr: Well, in addition to the large tumor on the knee, she has tuberculosis of the bone. She has never complained of pain?
- Mother Superior: No. Sister?
- Sister Marie Therese Verzous: [stunned by the news] She never mentioned it.
- Dr. St. Cyr: I can't understand it. She's had this affliction for a long time, and the constant pain and suffering associated with this disease is almost too horrible to describe.
- Dutour: If I understand you correctly, Doctor, science then excludes fraud; it excludes mental disease, and it excludes a miraculous occurrence. I venture then to ask science, what is left?
- Dr. Dozous: Yes, what is left?
- Bernadette: Your Reverence, I did see her.
- Peyramale: Yes, my child, you did. And you will see her again.
- Bernadette: Perhaps I haven't suffered enough.
- Peyramale: You've suffered enough, my child, for the Heaven of Heavens.
- Jennifer Jones — Bernadette Soubirous
- Charles Bickford — Abbé Dominique Peyramale
- William Eythe — Antoine Nicoleau
- Gladys Cooper — Marie Therese Vauzou
- Vincent Price — Vital Dutour
- Lee J. Cobb — Dr. Dozous
- Anne Revere — Louise Casterot Soubirous
- Roman Bohnen — François Soubirous
- Mary Anderson — Jeanne Abadie
- Patricia Morison — Empress Eugenie
- Jerome Cowan — Emperor Napoleon III
- Aubrey Mather — Mayor Lacade
- Charles Dingle — Jacomet
- Edith Barrett — Croisine Bouhouhorts
- Sig Ruman — Louis Bouriette
- Blanche Yurka — Bernarde Casterot