The Song of Bernadette (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Here is greatness...wonder...and majesty...no human words can describe!
The Song of Bernadette is a 1943 film about Bernadette Soubirous (later canonized Saint Bernadette) who, from February to July 1858 in Lourdes, France, reported eighteen visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Bernadatte sometimes to express certain things in a letter is difficult, so, wherever may you go, if ever you need me, just send me this. [hands her a holy card] I shall understand and come immediately.
- [to Bernadette] Wake up! Now! Else life is at an end for you. You are playing with fire, Bernadette.
- I asked her 'Do you know what a sinner is?' And she answered, 'Certainly, Monsieur. A sinner is one who loves evil'. That's quite a good answer. What pleased me is that she said 'loves', and not 'does'.
- There was something about her that precluded laughter. Her exaltation was so genuine that the observer almost had the impression that he saw what the child saw.
- Aunt Bernarde Casterot: She sees this lady. No one else does. Who are you to say that she is wrong and you are right? She may well be a heavenly creature... You will go with her! All the women of the family must stand by her side. I'll come. And when I walk with her... let anyone dare to laugh!
- Empress Eugenie: You're an atheist, Louis!
- Emperor Louis Napoleon III: That's the most stupid thing a sovereign could be.
- Bishop of Tarbes: The Commission can render only one of three decisions. First: "You're an impostor, little Soubirous. Away with you to a home of juvenile delinquents". Second: "You're a madwoman, little Soubirous. Away with you to an asylum". Third...
- Peyramale: "You are the rarest of mortal beings, little Soubirous".
- Mother Superior: Well, Doctor?
- Dr. St. Cyr: Well, in addition to the large tumor on the knee, she has tuberculosis of the bone. She has never complained of pain?
- Mother Superior: No. Sister?
- Sister Marie Therese Verzous: [stunned by the news] She never mentioned it.
- Dr. St. Cyr: I can't understand it. She's had this affliction for a long time, and the constant pain and suffering associated with this disease is almost too horrible to describe.
- Dutour: If I understand you correctly, Doctor, science then excludes fraud; it excludes mental disease, and it excludes a miraculous occurrence. I venture then to ask science, what is left?
- Dr. Dozous: Yes, what is left?
- Bernadette: Your Reverence, I did see her.
- Peyramale: Yes, my child, you did. And you will see her again.
- Bernadette: Perhaps I haven't suffered enough.
- Peyramale: You've suffered enough, my child, for the Heaven of Heavens.
- Jennifer Jones — Bernadette Soubirous
- Charles Bickford — Abbé Dominique Peyramale
- William Eythe — Antoine Nicoleau
- Gladys Cooper — Marie Therese Vauzou
- Vincent Price — Vital Dutour
- Lee J. Cobb — Dr. Dozous
- Anne Revere — Louise Casterot Soubirous
- Roman Bohnen — François Soubirous
- Mary Anderson — Jeanne Abadie
- Patricia Morison — Empress Eugenie
- Jerome Cowan — Emperor Napoleon III
- Aubrey Mather — Mayor Lacade
- Charles Dingle — Jacomet
- Edith Barrett — Croisine Bouhouhorts
- Sig Ruman — Louis Bouriette
- Blanche Yurka — Bernarde Casterot