The Wind Rises
The Wind Rises (風立ちぬ, Hepburn: Kaze Tachinu) is a 2013 Japanese animated historical drama film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, and is animated by Studio Ghibli. It was the final film directed by Miyazaki before his retirement in September 2013. The film is a fictionalized biography of Jiro Horikoshi (1903–1982), designer of the Mitsubishi A5M and its successor, the Mitsubishi A6M Zero; both aircraft were used by the Empire of Japan during World War II. The film is adapted from Miyazaki's manga of the same name, which was in turn loosely based on the 1937 short story The Wind Has Risen by Tatsuo Hori.
- But, remember this, Japanese boy: airplanes are not tools for war. They’re not for making money. Airplanes are beautiful dreams. Engineers turn dreams into reality.
- Life is wonderful, isn’t it?
- Castorp: Dr. Junkers is in trouble.
- Jiro Horikoshi: In trouble?
- Castorp: He bites the hands that feeds him. And he will lose.
- Jiro Horikoshi: He fights Mr. Hitler’s government?
- Castorp: The Nazis are a gang of hoodlums.
- [Several waiters walk by]
- Castorp: This is quite a good place! No mosquitoes. Not too hot. Good watercress. A good place to forget bad things, isn’t that right?
- Jiro Horikoshi: Cigarette? I’m afraid they’re Japanese.
- Castorp: Thank you. It is a nice night. Hier ist der Zauberberg.
- Jiro Horikoshi: “The Magic Mountain”, Thomas Mann.
- Castorp: Yes. A good place for forgetting. Make a war in China? Forget it. Make a puppet state in Manchuria? Forget it. Quit the League of Nations? Forget it. Make the world your enemy? Forget it. Japan will blow up. Germany will blow up, too.
- Jiro Horikoshi: Do you think Germany will go to war again?
- Castorp: Yes. They must be stopped.
- Jiro Horikoshi: I’d forgotten what rainbows look like.
- Naoko Satomi: Life is wonderful, isn’t it?
- Jiro Horikoshi Hideaki Anno Joseph Gordon-Levitt (English)
- Naoko Satomi - Miori Takimoto (Japanese) / Emily Blunt (English)
- Kiro Honjo Hidetoshi Nishijima (Japanese)/ John Krasinski (English)
- Kurokawa - Masahiko Nishimura (Japanese) Martin Short (English)
- Castorp - Stephen Alpert Werner Herzog (English)
- Satomi - Morio Kazama William H. Macy (English)
- Jiro's mother -Keiko Takeshita (Japanese)/ Edie Mirman (English)
- Kayo Horikoshi Mirai Shida / Mae Whitman (English)
- Hattori Jun Kunimura (Japanese) / Mandy Patinkin (English)
- Mrs. Kurokawa - Shinobu Otake (Japanese) Jennifer Grey (English)
- Giovanni Battista Caproni Nomura Mansai (Japanese) / Stanley Tucci (English)
- Kinu - Mae Whitman (English)
- Sone - Elijah Wood (English)
- Mitsubishi employee - Ronan Ronan Farrow (English)
- Young Jiro - Kaichi Kaburagi (Japanese) Zach Callison (English)
- Young Kayo - Maki Shinta (Japanese) Eva Bella (English)
- Young Naoko - Mayu Iino (Japanese) / Madeleine Rose Yen (English)
- Katayama - Darren Criss (English)
- Flight Engineer - David Cowgill (English)