Thor (Marvel Comics)
Thor is a fictional character, a superhero who appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character first appeared in Journey into Mystery #83 (Aug. 1962) and was created by editor-plotter Stan Lee, scripter Larry Lieber, and penciller Jack Kirby. The mythological Thor had appeared previously in Venus #12-13 (Feb-Apr 1951). Debuting in the Silver Age of Comic Books, the character is based on the god Thor of Norse mythology.
The Mighty Thor (Journey Into Mystery) Volume 1
Journey Into Mystery #83
- Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor!
- Inscription on w:Mjolnir (comics)/Mjolnir
To Die Like a God!
- All life...even such as theirs...is precious beyond understanding!
- Putting an end to the troll invasion, p. 15
Where Dwell the Demons!
- For they who live by violence...most surely will so perish!!
- Fighting the Chief Mutate, p. 12
This Evil Triumphant!
- Ultron. We would have words with thee.
- Confronting the the supervillain Ultron, p. ?
- Jane’s been a part of Thor’s universe going back almost to the very beginning. She was the initial love interest for Donald Blake, who was Thor’s alter-ego [in early Thor stories]. She was the nurse to his doctor. She’s grown and changed and evolved a lot over the years, become a doctor in her own right. So this to me is not just the next step for her character, but really the next evolution of the core promise that has always been at the heart of Thor’s mythology.
- I came up with Thor because I’ve always been a history buff. I know all about Thor and Balder and Mjolnir, the hammer. Nobody ever bothered with that stuff except me. I loved it in high school and I loved it in my pre-high school days. It was the thing that kept my mind off the general poverty in the area. When I went to school that’s what kept me in school — it wasn’t mathematics and it wasn’t geography; it was history.
- Jack Kirby, "Jack Kirby Interview", Gary Groth, The Comics Journal, #134, February 1990, posted May 23, 2011.