Uncertainty is a term used in subtly different ways in a wide number of fields, including physics, philosophy, statistics, economics, finance, insurance, psychology, sociology, engineering, and information science. It applies to predictions of future events, to physical measurements already made, or to the unknown.
- If you aren’t in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret.
- Before I draw nearer to that stone to which you point, answer me one question. Are these the shadows of the things that will be, or are they shadows of things that may be only?
- Kai: Prophet, I have come to you,
here on this uncertain moon,
Do we Brunnen-G, have any hope,
or are my people doomed?
- Time Prophet: I looked into the cycles of time,
not very clearly mind you
I gaze into, future past,
and I see the Brunnen-G doomed
For Kai you'll be the last to die,
and there is something else I see
the Shadows Order will be destroyed,
at the hands of the last Brunnen-G .
- Kai: Are you certain Time Prophet?
- Lexx Brigadoom written by Paul Donovan & Lex Gigeroff
- Even if there were exceedingly few things in a finite space in an infinite time, they would not have to repeat in the same configurations. Suppose there were three wheels of equal size, rotating on the same axis, one point marked on the circumference of each wheel, and these three points lined up in one straight line. If the second wheel rotated twice as fast as the first, and if the speed of the third wheel was 1/π of the speed of the first, the initial line-up would never recur.
- Walter Kaufmann, Nietzsche: Philosopher, Psychologist, Antichrist p. 327
- From that point, my universe went on crumbling; new cracks appeared all the time. I could see that the pleasant securities of childhood, all of those warm little human emotions, all of those trivial aims and purposes that we allow to rule our lives, were an illusion. We were like sheep munching grass, unaware that the butcher's lorry is already on its way. I got used to living with a deep, underlying feeling of uncertainty that no one around me seemed to share. It was rather like living on death row.
- Colin Wilson in Alien Dawn, pp. 12-13 (1998)
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 826.
- Quis scit, an adjiciant hodiernæ crastina summæ
Tempora di superi?
- Omnia sunt hominum tenui pendentia filo:
Et subito casu, quæ valuere, ruunt.
I ever held worse than all certitude,
To know not what the worst ahead might be.
- Algernon Charles Swinburne, Marino Faliero, Act V.
- Dum in dubio est animus, paulo momento huc illuc impellitur.