- Browse To browse the site.
- Reference desk To ask some questions related to quotes.
- Village pump To discuss with other editors.
- Community Portal Other useful links.
Shortly be bold and enjoy! --Aphaia 13:53, 18 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Submit a quote
I like your idea of a "submit a quote" on every page, but I'm afraid I don't see any practical way to do for now, for two major reasons:
- Different articles have different structures and organizations (for compelling reasons), so it's hard to see how an automated system would "decide" where to place a quote once submitted, and having a human do it for every new submission is tantamount to having an editorial board, which is very un-wiki.
- It seems like it would be difficult to implement any reasonable means for this without developer support. But the MediaWiki development community hasn't shown much interest in implementing features that primarily benefit non-Wikipedia projects like Wikiquote. This undoubtedly is at least partly because the WQ audience is a tiny fraction of the WP audience. This may change with time and greater lobbying from involved WQ editors.
- This isn't so hard. Have the submit feature append it to the talk page of the article, using the existing "index.php?title=TITLE&action=edit§ion=new" feature. Then the other editors would come later and see if it was notable and in the right place, and add it to the article proper. Sj 21:56, 17 February 2006 (UTC)
- Also, are you interested in helping with a regular review of what's new on wikiquote? A few lines every other week. Sj 21:56, 17 February 2006 (UTC)
We already have people posting requests at Wikiquote:Requested entries. As far as I've noticed, virtually no one spends any time moving these simple requests to their appropriate articles. Multiply that by 6,000, and you've got a nightmarish mass of unpositioned quotes. (And don't even get me started on unsourced, junk Internet, and vanity quotes, which would really benefit from this stealth approach.) We might expect more direct effort by more involved editors on article talk pages, and we'd probably get it for extremely popular articles like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I haven't noticed this happening in the few instances where people have done this ad hoc. Like so many other good ideas for Wikiquote, it has no real chance of working until we get more regular, general-article editors.
As far as "what's new on Wikiquote", I barely feel I can keep up with what's old. I'm not infrequently surprised by "new" stuff I had no awareness of, and I'm a "seasoned" admin here. I can't stress enough how inadequate our oversight of this project is, despite considerable effort from a small number of hard-working editors. Perhaps you should talk to Kalki; he may be more encouraging. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 00:41, 18 February 2006 (UTC)
Your new article on Librarianship is currently featured on the Main Page. Unfortunately, in its current state, it's nothing more than a external-link referral. Normally we delete similar attempts to promote other quote websites as link-spam. However, I can see from the link that this is a valuable secondary source for some useful quotes, complete with meaningful primary sources. Could you take some time to transfer some of these to Wikiquote? Otherwise, the article is likely to be nominated for deletion rather quickly. Thanks. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 21:43, 2 March 2006 (UTC)