What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
- We don't really move. I mean, we'd like to, but... my mom is sort of attached to the house. Attached is, I guess, not the right word. She's pretty much wedged in.
- I know a boy whose name is Arnie... he's, uh, 'bout to turn 18 and have a big party. I know a boy whose name is Arnie. C'mon down, buddy.
- I'm having a birthday party, but you're not invited, but you can come if you want.
- Becky: Tell me what you want, as fast as it comes to you.
- Gilbert: Uhh...
- Becky: Okay?
- Gilbert: 'Kay.
- Becky: Okay. What do you want?
- [He's thinking about it]
- Becky: Faster!
- Gilbert: Okay. I want a new thing. House. I want a new house. And a family.
- [He sighs heavily]
- Gilbert: I want Momma to take aerobics classes. I want Ellen to grow up. I want a new brain for Arnie. I want...
- Becky: What do you want for you? Just for you?
- Gilbert: I want to be a good person.
- Gilbert: [climbing of the water tower] It's not going to happen again. This is the last time. Right Arnie?
- Arnie: It's the last time.
- Gilbert: Okay. Let's go.
- Arnie: But I want to go back up there again.
- Becky: I love the sky. It's so limitless.
- Gilbert: It is big. It's very big.
- Becky: Big doesn't even sum it up, right? That word big is so small.
- Gilbert: You know what? You're such a big boy.
- Arnie: Yeah!
- Gilbert: You're such a big boy.
- Arnie: I'm a big boy!
- Gilbert: You know what? I bet you could do this all by yourself if you really wanted to. Could you do this by yourself?
- Arnie: I'm a big boy!
- Gilbert: Yeah, you're a big boy. Now take this...
- Arnie: Take this.
- Gilbert: Wash everything, your towels are there.
- Arnie: Okay!
- Gilbert: And your robe is there.
- Arnie: Okay! The big boy is gonna wash himself!
- Gilbert: [to Becky] I don't know what to say.
- Arnie: Say "thank you," Gilbert. "Thank you."
- Gilbert: [whispering] Thank you.
- Betty: Hey. I could have had any guy, any guy, but I chose you. I chose you.
- Gilbert: Why did you?
- Betty: [pause] Because... I knew you'd always be there. Because I knew you'd never leave.
- A story about the love you find...in the last place you look.
- Arnie knows a secret. His big brother Gilbert is the greatest person on the planet.
- An unusual story of life...and love in the heartland.
- Life is a terrible thing to sleep through.
- Johnny Depp - Gilbert Grape
- Juliette Lewis - Becky
- Leonardo DiCaprio - Arnie Grape
- Mary Steenburgen - Betty Carver
- Darlene Cates - Bonnie Grape
- Laura Harrington - Amy Grape
- Mary Kate Schellhardt - Ellen Grape
- Kevin Tighe - Ken Carver
- John C. Reilly - Tucker Van Dyke
- Crispin Glover - Bobby McBurney
- Penelope Branning - Becky's Grandma
- Libby Villari - the Waitress