Where the Wild Things Are
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Where the Wild Things Are is a 2009 American-Australian-German fantasy drama film about a lonely nine-year-old boy named Max who sails away to an island inhabited by creatures known as the "Wild Things," who declare Max their king. It combines live-action, performers in costumes, animatronics, and computer-generated imagery (CGI).
- Directed by Spike Jonze. Written by Jonze and Dave Eggers, adapted from Maurice Sendak's 1963 children's book of the same name.
There's one in all of us.taglines
- Let the wild rumpus start!
- [64 minutes later logo. Watches Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on TV] "Pirate Radio".
- Uh think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles '87.
- If I was stranded on a desert island and could only take one thing, it'd be Douglas. We can share him if you want.
- Hey king, watch this. [attempts to flip but hits tree] All right tree, we'll settle this later.
- [off-scene; to Max and Connie] Beats me.
- Happiness isn't always the best way to be happy.
- You know what I say. If you got a problem, eat it.
- Hey, KW, you wanna be on my team? We're the BAD guys.
- Coral! [Coral: What?!] That was my favorite arm?!
- Max, what are you Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles doing?!
- Max, don't pull that now.
- No...dinner for you Max!? Go to your room!? [Max bites on the Connie's shoulder] OWW!! [Connie drops Max. Adrian gasps] Max! He bit me! THAT HURTS!
- Connie, you can't treat like that.
- Max: Hey, Claire. Wanna see something great?
- Claire: [on the phone] Who else was there?
- Max: It's an igloo! I made it.
- Claire: Yeah, my brother.
- Max: Hey, Claire!
- Claire: I can't. We're supposed to go to my dad's that weekend.
- Max: The snowplows left some snow across the street, and I dug a hole into it.
- Claire: [to Max] Go and play with your friends.
- Douglas: Will you keep out all the sadness?
- Max: I have a sadness shield that keeps out all the sadness, and it's big enough for all of us.
- Carol: This part of your kingdom's not so good.
- Max: Why?
- Carol: Well, look: this used to be all rock, and now it's sand, and then, one day, it's going to be dust, and then the whole island will be dust, and then... well I don't even know what comes after dust.
- Max: Carol, did you know the sun was gonna die?
- Carol: What? I never heard that... Oh, come on. That can't happen. I mean you're the king, and look at me, I'm big! how can guys like us worry about a tiny little thing like the sun, hmm?
- Carol: [Max is waking up as Carol carries him] I didn't wanna wake you up... but I really wanna show you something
- Max: Okay.
- [Climbs onto Carol's shoulder]
- Carol: And on our way... I can show you your kingdom. This is all yours. You're the owner of this world. Everything you see is yours. Oh, except that hole over there, that's Ira's. The tree's yours, but the hole is Ira's. But everything else is yours. Except for that rock over there, that's not yours. That little rock next to the big rock. But everything else in the kingdom... except for that stick. That little stick right there, that's not yours. I want you to be king forever, Max.
- Max: Yeah, definitely.
- Max: [upon seeing Carol remove his crown from a pile of bones] Are those... other kings?
- Carol: Oh, those? I don't know anything about that. Those were like that when we got here.
- Max: Small is good. My powers are able to slip right through the cracks.
- Judith: But what if the cracks are closed up?
- Max: Then I have a re-cracker, which goes right through that.
- Judith: But what if they have some sort of material that re-crackers can't get through?
- Max: Then I have a double re-cracker, which can get through anything in this whole universe. And that's the end, and there's nothing more powerful after that, ever. Period.
- Alexander: He has a double re-cracker.
- Ira: He does sound powerful.
- Judith: Psst. Psst. [signals for Max to come over] What were you doing with Carol just now?
- Max: Just talking.
- Judith: Oh, a secret, huh? Let me ask you something. How does it work around here? Are we all the same or are some of us better than others or - ? You like to play favourites, huh, king?
- [Ira accidentally hurts Judith]
- Judith: Ow.
- Max: No, I like all you guys equally.
- Judith: Don't give me that. I can see how it is. The king has favourites. That's really cute.
- [Ira hurts Judith again]
- Judith: Ow! Stop! Do you have a favourite colour? Hey, can I be your favourite colour? [laughs]
- [Max imitates her laugh]
- [Judith does it back]
- [Max does it again, with more effort]
- Judith: Ahahaha.
- Max: Har har har.
- Judith: [more evilly] Ahahahaha!
- Max: Har har har!
- Judith: Ahahahahaha!
- Max: HAR HAR HAR!
- Judith: You know what? You can't do that back to me. If we're upset, your job is not to get upset back at us. Our job is to be upset. If I get mad and wanna eat you, then you have to say: "Oh, okay. You can eat me. I love you. Whatever makes you happy, Judith." That's what you're supposed to do!
- Max: Did you make this?
- Carol: Yeah, yeah.
- Max: It's very good.
- Carol: We were gonna make a whole world like this. Now, everyone used to come here, but you know... you know what it feels like when all your teeth are falling out really slowly and you don't realize and then you notice that, well, they're really far apart. And then one day... you don't have any teeth anymore.
- Max: Yeah.
- Carol: Well it was like that.
- Carol: So, what ever happened with you and the Vikings?
- Max: Well, in the end I had to leave.
- Carol: Why?
- Max: I'm not a Viking or a king, or... or anything.
- Carol: So, what are you?
- Max: I'm Max.
- Carol: [sighs] Well, that's not very much, is it?
- The Bull: Hey, Max?
- Max: Yeah?
- The Bull: When you go home, will you say good things about us?
- Max: Yeah, I will.
- The Bull: Thanks, Max.
- Judith: You're the first king we haven't eaten.
- Alexander: Yeah, that's true.
- Judith: See ya.
- Alexander: Bye, Max.
- Max: Bye.
- KW: Don't go. I'll eat you up; I love you so.
- [all howl]
- There's one in all of us.
- Inside all of us is... hope. Inside all of us is... fear. Inside all of us is... adventure. Inside all of us is a wild thing.
- Let the wild rumpus start!
- I could eat you up, I love you so.
- Max Records as Max.
- Catherine Keener as Connie.
- Mark Ruffalo as Adrian.
- Pepita Emmerichs as Claire.
- Steve Mouzakis as Max's teacher.
- Max Pfeifer, Madeleine Greaves, Joshua Jay and Ryan Corr as Claire's friends.
- James Gandolfini as Carol.
- Lauren Ambrose as K.W.
- Chris Cooper as Douglas.
- Forest Whitaker as Ira.
- Catherine O'Hara as Judith.
- Paul Dano as Alexander.
- Michael Berry Jr. as Bernard the Bull.
- Spike Jonze as Bob and Terry.
- Vincent Crowley as Carol.
- Alice Parkinson as K.W.
- John Leary as Douglas.
- Sam Longley as Ira.
- Nick Farnell as Judith.
- Sonny Gerasimowicz as Alexander.
- Angus Sampson as Bernard the Bull.